When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Full Yellow or Red Gold Rolexes - Who has one?

chefcook

Heyho,

in the last four weeks I tinkered with the idea of a YG or RG Rolex, a YG or RG DayDate in particular.

So I just thought I'd ask you what experiences you've made with these reps concerning durability, feel and looks. And what watches you have - please share some pics with me ;)

Regards,

M.

I was at one time, quite interested in the old TW Best gold models. They had a very nice example of the YM, Submariner and DD's. I don't recall what method they used on the TW Best, but I could have sworn it was an actual triple wrapped application. They also had an interesting rhodium plated Masterpiece...

Never got around to picking one up, though...

Ruby seems to have a specialty in the Daydate and Datejust market. Why not have a chat with her. I have never purchased full gold Rolex models but have two Yellow gold BCE reps and I am very happy with the plating. I am sure that the Rolex version plating would be similar.

the gold masterpiece in my sig is about 5 years old. Gold still looks great. The breitling bentley ahs some of the best gold plating I have seen. BTW, I have one in the sales section..........

I have been a fan of gold for a long time but recently I have been wearing more SS and platinum or white gold jewelry.

A few years ago I picked up a yellow gold DD, silver dial with stick markers and fluted bezel from Paul- I just can't get any blingier than that and even that is really too much for my tastes. The bracelet didn't match the case very well as far as the two tones of gold, so I removed the bracelet and put a nice dark brown alligator strap on with a gold Rolex buckle. I wear it from time to time in dressy situations, and the case has held up fine. It looks similar to this model from Josh:

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlddf10013-full-go...8362-p-997.html

A Day-Date really isn't the watch for me- probably a gold cased Datejust, white dial, gold stick markers, dark brown alligator/crocodile strap would be the ticket, but lately I've been wearing the 5508 on a dark brown alligator strap in dress situations.

post-175-1218836550_thumb.jpg

Oops, here it is with an oyster bracelet. But it does have a gold print dial and hands!

The problem with gold is I just don't want to be called out- "Is it real?" Some people say they can tell the difference between gold plate and solid gold, but I don't buy that necessarily- and don't forget, gold does tarnish some- but you can't buff out gold plate too much!

Lately I've been thinking an all gold YM would be cool- white dial, of course, but gold plate is just such a risky deal:

Here's Josh's

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlymf10004-full-go...362-p-4495.html

But, damn, it's just like Dirty Harry- "Sometimes you just gotta ask yourself, do you feel lucky?"