When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement Bezel Insert for SSD v2

silvio

Hi guys,

I scratched my rep insert pretty badly while trying to enlarge the hole to make it accept Watchmaterial pearl. Now I'm insertless and looking for a good replacement, heard that the Jewelry Outlet ones are pretty decent.

- But will it fit the rep? Does it needs further sanding/trim? As I understand the SSD bezel size is slightly different than gen. I'm quite hesitant if we need to sand the outer circumference of the insert too much, afraid the result won't be perfect round with my wobbly hands.

As a note, I have had a problem with Wholesale Outlet/Faisal Ali when I ordered a vintage insert for my MBK. Item never shipped, but luckily he refunded my payment.

- Is Jewelry Outlet the same company as Wholesale Outlet? Reason I ask is they both have pretty much the same style look and description.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Yes, Faisal Ali has two stores- here in beautiful Sugar Land, TX! I'm not that keen on him myself, but I did order a 24-7030 Rolex Sub case tube from him last week and it arrived promptly- haven't installed it yet.

I don't specifically know if a standard Rolex or aftermarket insert will fit in an SSD without mods- once again, bklm1234 would. He helped me w/ my noob insert last week and yes, the jewelryoulet insert or any other standard size insert has to be trimmed around the edges to fit in a noob bezel and it's a PITA to do. But I want to say the SSD insert is closer to the standard size. Might still need to file the underside so it will seat in the bezel better, but that isn't hard to do- just take a small file and go slowly. Keep the top side of the insert on something soft like a cotton rag so you don't scratch it. It helps to have a press for setting the insert in the bezel and maybe clamp it while the glue dies.

Oh, and yes the WM pearl is larger. I used a sharp exacto knife to enlarge the hole- just twirl it around a few times till you can press the WM pearl in there and glue it from the backside.

@alligoat:

Thanks for your tip.... Understand the hole need to be enlarged and yesterday I stupidly use a thin file rather than x-acto, what a great input. Appreciate it.

@yaron:

I've saw some of BK's posts and I admired his work quality. Especially the CG shape of the 16610 he modded, very good. But somehow i can't find any of his post on SSD, whether he uses aftermarket insert for it. I saw one of BK's post where he uses the WM pearl only, on the rep's original insert, which is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for your reply.

I went over to RWI and read his post on beautifying the SSD- like you say, he only installed a WM pearl in the SSD insert and shaved down the back side of the insert as much as he could. But if you've already trashed your SSD insert, you might as well order a jewelryoutlet insert. It's easier than trying to get a SSD insert from China, IMO.