When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you trade in all of your reps/frankens for 1 gen dream watch?

freddy333

I have changed a lot these last months. :whistling:

I see two different ways of looking at the question: short term and long term.

Short term: I have almost put toghether my dream collection of Rolex (1655 and snowflake are still to be added).

On top of that I have some watches I love (Ingy, 3717, PO, 196) that I couldn't let go.

It's very nice to be able to swap watches so often.

But it is also a very selfish attitude to have spent up to 1.200 euros in some watches (see why here under). :wounded1:

Long term: I have a ten years old son.

He looks at all my watches saying they will be his one day.

He is correct of course.

My father made a great living but didn't even leave me something.

SO!

What the hell will I leave to my son? :g:

30 replicas or 5 genuine?

Conclusion: only our community here can understand what our hobby is all about.

Of course it is a great hobby and I wouldn't stop collecting franken neither sell my Rolex.

What is the point? I will never put 40.000 euro to get myself a genuine double red :blink:

But right now, I'm in the process of selling all the watches that I really never wear to fund more and more gens.

I decided to get myself the early 2000 Rolex as I believe they will have a great value in 20 years.

This way, if my son is in deep shit after I passed away he will be able to sell one watch at 10.000 instead of 200 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

The value of the gen should be that of the market value of the reps. Stretching it, gen price should be the purchase price of the reps.

So, don't cheat saying that You would trade two reps of 300$ with a gen of 20.000$ :) You would be insane not to!

With that in mind, I wouldn't swap my reps for one gen. I enjoy my diverse collection, and I don't care about resale value or the possibility of being 'called out'. That doesn't mean that I don't have gens in my collection. I am just not giving up my reps :)