When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New York City agreed to pay $2mln to to protesters arrested during rally against Iraq war

milsub5517

Germany is my fathers birthplace, so I would go there.

Yeah and germany is well known for protecting peoples' civil liberties.

What is sad about this country is people who live here and complain about it. Nowhere and noone is perfect, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Be thankful you are an American. You could be somolian or worse, Canadian.......... :p

@jfreeman:

Agree. Find me the perfect nation and I'll head right out.

@Mil huge private and municipal corporations (State/Cities are incorporated) generally find it more cost effective to simply settle suits like this outside of court than drag something through the legal system due to the expense, hence why Rolex won't generally drag someone to court for selling a single replica watch (for instance, you and I setting up a deal is technically illegal) because it's simply not worth their time. That's why so-called "ambulance chaser" lawyers and malpractice attorneys in (for instance) the medical field sue everyone if there's an issue: The doctors, the nurses, the state, the city, the hospital, the janators, the insurance companies... 99% of the time most of the people they sue aren't "TECHNICALLY" guilty or would have a good chance of winning a lawsuit but they hope people will settle to avoid cost/publicity since they are large organizations with a ton of money who can afford to simply pay the plaintiff and have them sign an NDA than to drag things through the legal system and waste even more shareholder/tax dollars. Corporations I've worked for generally carry tons of insurance and budget for things like this because it's so commonplace (FYI- I interned for 2 European companies while doing my undergrad Finance/Accounting double majors and it was the same in the EU)

("Although defendants believe that they would ultimately have prevailed at a trial, the costs of going forward weighed in favor of a settlement at this time.")

I hate protesters so much, and I hate people who protest against America double! America is the nation of opportunity, rights, and freedom. They are a world leader with a sense of international responsibility who are NOT afraid to spread democracy to oppressed foreign nations. Protesters are either

1) attention seeking youths, often from neglectful parents

2) aging men and women wanting to relive their #1s from 40 years ago

The NYCPD should be awarded medals for bringing these stupid hippies to justice. I bet they don't even know half of the truth of what is going on in the world, instead calling attention to their illogical "world peace" agenda. They make me sick.

Canada is filled with these people. "Free Tibet" "Stop the War" "Impeach Harper".... my goodness, if you don't like it so much, WHY ARE YOU STILL LIVING HERE!?!?

...and don't get me started on that cow, Elizabeth May... moooo

U.S. Constitution - Amendment I: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

i would like to see the city win this case...

("Although defendants believe that they would ultimately have prevailed at a trial, the costs of going forward weighed in favor of a settlement at this time.")

The USA is a "Free Country" in name only. A nation of prejudice selfish warmongers. If I could afford to I would leave. Germany is my fathers birthplace, so I would go there.

hahaha, yeah enjoy Germany its not what is just to be now its one of many European country's delving in immigrants from war torn countries.

What is sad about this country is people who live here and complain about it. Nowhere and noone is perfect, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Be thankful you are an American. You could be somolian....... :p

I agree be happy for what you have, atleast your not from any of the Neanderthal countries wher sub humans live

I do love a good protest its the only way to speak up against injustice in many cases.

Correct "Congress shall make no law" I don't see Congress' involvement here, and NYC cops are notorious for protecting "Their own." Unless you were there and saw everything, you cannot know exactly what happened. It's possible that one or two protesters gave the police [censored] and they decided that the protest was not "peaceful." I'm not arguing that its right or wrong, but I think it would be difficult for the plaintiffs to prove their case when the city would no doubt have 10-20 veteran police officers testify that there was an issue.

It's shortsighted to read whatever you see in the huffington post (all lowercase because it's not even a legitimate news source and thus doesn't deserve capitals (same with the daily kos) ), or by the same token, what you hear from rush limbaugh, etc... There are two sides to every story and unless you were there/ "in the know", you (or I) have no idea what actually occurred.

We all may not have agreed with the protesters cause but if we don't enforce our constitutional rights then where are we? Patriot Act anyone?....yeah... I still think it's horrible for any redblooded American.

Imagine if we didn't all have the first amendment right?? That's the beauty of this place.....we can say whatever we feel like with out much fear of any concequences.

Yeah, maybe they where a bunch of loony toons but they have the right to be loonies as long as they bring harm to no one.

As for the Carlyle Group.....something smells to high heaven in that company and the origin of it's profits.

I agree with the above statements...I'm not making a case to defend NYC, I'm simply stating that WE DON'T KNOW if anyone assaulted a police officer or made threats and I, for one, think it's hypocritical to label the city as being "in the wrong" without a formal report/ account of the incident, especially considering you're arguing civil rights and also considering the majority of the quotations in that article come from, surprise surprise, the lawyer for the plaintiffs.

The USA is a "Free Country" in name only. A nation of prejudice selfish warmongers. If I could afford to I would leave. Germany is my fathers birthplace, so I would go there.

Well this is a generalization of staggering proportions, just as much as THIS:

America is the nation of opportunity, rights, and freedom. They are a world leader with a sense of international responsibility who are NOT afraid to spread democracy to oppressed foreign nations. Protesters are either

1) attention seeking youths, often from neglectful parents

2) aging men and women wanting to relive their #1s from 40 years ago

I hardly know where to begin and indeed I suspect any comments I may make will fall on deaf ears.

The United States is a country with virtues and defects as varied as the people who live within its borders.

I find Georgegrasser's comments saddening. It is much easier to run away than to try to repair something so worth fixing. Indeed, those who do so are complicit in the very ills they bemoan in righteous indignation. Many people who also believe the United States has serious problems and frequently perpetrates great injustices have dedicated their lives to trying to correct these problems. I live outside the United States but my reasons for doing so (I am pleased to say) have nothing to do with shirking my civic responsibilities as a citizen.

And then I am struck by the great irony of Corgi's statement - he holds the United States in great esteem and extols its "freedom." But it would seem that to him this is just a catch word - because if people cannot disapprove of the government's actions and in good conscious voice their opinions publicly without being ridiculed (or worse, silenced), then the words freedom and liberty are but slogans devoid of any substantive meaning. When I hear of a protest in the United States, any protest, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the protesters' opinions, I am contented because protest and loud public debate are, in any true democracy, good and necessary things. How one could hate protesters and simultaneously love freedom is beyond my comprehension.