When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just spoilt my 1st rep!

caracarnj

Can anyone help me?

Just received my 1st rep (A7750, 28,800 bph) yesterday. played with the chrono by pressing the start/stop button (the top button). Instead of stopping it, I pressed the reset button!

The chrono was reset to 1 o'clock position instead of the usual 12 o'clock! Horror!

Is there anything I can do to fix this besides sending it to a watchsmith?

:bangin:

I'm definitely not a pro on movements, but when the chrono is running the reset button shouldn't do anything. It only activates when the chrono is stopped, or so I remember. I think you've actually have another issue other than the reset button and probably should have the movement serviced by a pro. Maybe a pro like The Zigmeister will pop in with the right answer. Good luck.

What has probably happened is that you tried to reset from too far away from the 12:00 position, and the seconds hand has spun because of the torque. There is likely nothing wrong with the movement, but it will have to be removed, and the second hand reset to its proper position.

I have said it many times, never reset a chrono from farther away than 10 seconds. You will never have an issue.

BTW, have you tried running the chrono and properly resetting since this happened?

There are 3 different types of problems regarding chrono resetting:

chrono caliber not stopping at the correct point, a simple reset might help. (Try starting again the chrono, stopping at 10'' and then resetting. If this doesn't work, try resetting from the 50" mark. )

chrono caliber stopping at the correct point BUT the hand slips (from now on the indications are offset/ or the hand is not moving at all). Watch has to be opened and the offending hand be reset correctly.

chrono hands are slipping during non-chrono function or not running during chrono function. (especially the hour counter) This calls for watchsmith work.

I have said it many times, never reset a chrono from farther away than 10 seconds. You will never have an issue.

I hope you're only referring to rep chronos when you say that and even if you are, that's such a ridiculous statement that I can't believe you said it not once but "many times".

I hope you're only referring to rep chronos when you say that and even if you are, that's such a ridiculous statement that I can't believe you said it not once but "many times".

I think his logic is that when you reset the chrono with the seconds hand far away, say from 30 seconds, it gathers up a lot of speed on its way back home to zero and that can cause it to pop out of place. Obviously he meant this only for reps.

It makes common sense but I've reset my chronos from far away many times and the seconds hand has always landed perfectly.

You are a bit of a fool my friend. A person with less than 50 posts calling a member with years of experience and almost 2000 posts ridiculous?

A second hand is comprised of two parts. The hand itself and the stem, which is sort of riveted to the hand. Because it is extremely small and has very little surface area, the extreme torque generated by spinning half way round the dial is often enough to twist the hand on the stem. Do a search about chronos not resetting to zero! By only resetting from within 10 seconds I guarantee you will never have a problem.

And btw, the above advice applies to gens as well as reps.

But, Wombutt, feel free to do whatever the [censored] you please. Don't seek my advice next time you [censored] up your watch though :(

You are a bit of a fool my friend. A person with less than 50 posts calling a member with years of experience and almost 2000 posts ridiculous?

A second hand is comprised of two parts. The hand itself and the stem, which is sort of riveted to the hand. Because it is extremely small and has very little surface area, the extreme torque generated by spinning half way round the dial is often enough to twist the hand on the stem. Do a search about chronos not resetting to zero! By only resetting from within 10 seconds I guarantee you will never have a problem.

And btw, the above advice applies to gens as well as reps.

But, Wombutt, feel free to do whatever the [censored] you please. Don't seek my advice next time you [censored] up your watch though :(

As another poster with less than 50 posts....... What is the point of making a chrono watch? To time events!

So you only time events that end on certain seconds? Your statement, as it applies to gens, makes no sense to me.

Thank you all very much for your advice! I am not worthy.

Andreww was right. I guess I reset the chrono while it was moving and it was too far from 12.00 mark and past 6.00 mark when i reset it. As a result, it stop at the 1.00 mark, not at the 12.00 mark. It over shot past the 12.00 mark.

So by following HK45CA advise, I run the chrono till it hit 5.00 mark before stopping it. And reset it. The force kicked the chrono hand anti-clockwise a bit at a time, until it finally rest at the 12.00 mark. :p

I then start the chrono again but stop at 1.00 mark (less than 10 sec) but perhaps the force was not too great, again it didn't reset perfectly back at 12.00 but between 12.0 and 1.00 mark. sigh...

This was not the case before I hit the reset button accidentally while the chrono was moving. But then again, according to some experts, the watch ought to be fully wind before using the chrono. So perhaps if my watch is fully wind, the chrono should work fine. How do I know the watch has been fully wind?

As another poster with less than 50 posts....... What is the point of making a chrono watch? To time events!

So you only time events that end on certain seconds? Your statement, as it applies to gens, makes no sense to me.

Time your event. Stop.

Then advance the second hand closer to twelve and reset. Not that hard.

The funny thing is that I see and overwhelming number of guys that won't even use the chrono on a 7750! Suggest that you take a few seconds to preserve the well being of the watch and people freak out!

BTW, when I posted the same info in another thread, this was The Zigmeister's response. So you have the info, do what you will with it.

The problem is with the hand itself, as andrew pointed out. I have fixed dozens of them, and it's always the same problem that has been around for 3 years now.

Thank you all very much for your advice! I am not worthy.

Andreww was right. I guess I reset the chrono while it was moving and it was too far from 12.00 mark and past 6.00 mark when i reset it. As a result, it stop at the 1.00 mark, not at the 12.00 mark. It over shot past the 12.00 mark.

So by following HK45CA advise, I run the chrono till it hit 5.00 mark before stopping it. And reset it. The force kicked the chrono hand anti-clockwise a bit at a time, until it finally rest at the 12.00 mark. :p

I then start the chrono again but stop at 1.00 mark (less than 10 sec) but perhaps the force was not too great, again it didn't reset perfectly back at 12.00 but between 12.0 and 1.00 mark. sigh...

This was not the case before I hit the reset button accidentally while the chrono was moving. But then again, according to some experts, the watch ought to be fully wind before using the chrono. So perhaps if my watch is fully wind, the chrono should work fine. How do I know the watch has been fully wind?

The problem is the hand is loose and is just spinning freely. It needs to be removed, and a small amount of epoxy applied to the back where the stem joins the hand. Then install the hand in the proper position and all should be well.

The problem is the hand is loose and is just spinning freely. It needs to be removed, and a small amount of epoxy applied to the back where the stem joins the hand. Then install the hand in the proper position and all should be well.

Thanks Andreww, you the man!

And also to the rest, you make life so much easier!

But I don't think I will be opening up the watch anytime soon. So the chrono will not be used till the watch smith open it up and fix it.

cheers!

Time your event. Stop.

Then advance the second hand closer to twelve and reset. Not that hard.

The funny thing is that I see and overwhelming number of guys that won't even use the chrono on a 7750! Suggest that you take a few seconds to preserve the well being of the watch and people freak out!

BTW, when I posted the same info in another thread, this was The Zigmeister's response. So you have the info, do what you will with it.

Now I agree 100%. BTW, I don't use the chronos on Asian 7750s.

But, judging people by the number of posts comes off as a little rude. :) We're all here to learn and in all the forums,I'm sure you'll agree, the number of posts often doesn't correlate to a poster's intelligence.

Now I agree 100%. BTW, I don't use the chronos on Asian 7750s.

But, judging people by the number of posts comes off as a little rude. :) We're all here to learn and in all the forums,I'm sure you'll agree, the number of posts often doesn't correlate to a poster's intelligence.

Firstly, start using your chronos, thats what they are there for :)

Secondly, you can't judge somebody by a low post count. But, sometimes you can judge somebody with a high post count. The information that I gave was advice given to me by The Zigmeister if I'm not mistaken. It has served me well, and I pass it on whenever I can. To be called "ridiculous" for doing so is simply out of line. If Wombat had reason to disagree, fine, but at least give reasons for disagreeing. He was being a little rude IMO.

Please allow me to join the discussion here,.

Even if i have made only few posts on this forum, i've been collecting (gen) watches and repairing them for many decades. This doesn't mean that i know it all, but..

The misaligning of the center chrono second hand after a reset is usually due to the hand sitting too loose on the shaft or the central tube coming loose from the hand.

It is a manufacturing tolerance and/or materials problem (The tube on "cheap" second hands are often made of soft and deformable metals and the quality of riveting both parts together is also very poor.. )

It was a very common on the old (gen) Russian chronographs. I used to fix them all the time, as they were manufactured in large quantities without much QC, a bit comparable to the reps we see today. On a high quality gen (with proper servicing) you will almost never see this happen... .

You could try to glue them (if the tube and hand have separated, that is.. I never glued the tube on to the central second shaft, because you may have to remove it later and it does not really remove the cause of the problem), but from my experience, there's only one way to solve this permanently: change the whole hand for a new one, with closer tolerances.

It should fit really thightly.

As far as using the chonograph function: if the watch is properly made, or if the hand has been fixed properly, there is no reason at all for resetting it only close to "12". It should return to zero whatever the stop and reset position is.

For a rep chronograph however, it is sound advise not to reset it too far from zero.. but it should not be like that ....

Just my 2 cts..

Regards,

Lewis.

@lewis: I agree with you :) And thanks for sharing your thoughts. However, given the limited resources to get parts in rep world, it's good to make use of whatever available to us.

I agree that the first step is to check the watch first. However, I can see that the problem is like you have stated, the central tube and hand shaft is too loose, hence needs small amount of epoxy. And I agree... don't glue the hands to the movement). This problem is pretty common on our reps.

Apart from the rude comments from some, I will share what I have experienced first hand, and the repair. Andreww is right on the money with his comments.

Almost all problems are due to the tube hand joint, not the hand to the post connection.

One way to fix the tube/hand joint is to glue the joint with epoxy. I have done this many times, and it works.

The permanent solution is to never reset your chrono outside of 10-2 on the dial face, this is a well known problem and easy to avoid.

RG

This picture may help to illustrate what Ziggy & Lewis are talking about

Image1-10.jpg

If you look closely at the center of the hand, you can see where the hand's shaft runs up & through the hole in the hand & the shaft 'skin' is folded over onto the surface of the hand, forming a riveted joint. The problem occurs when that joint is either not firmly made by the factory or it is loosened when the hand is installed onto the pinion in a haphazard manner. This can be fixed, as Ziggy suggested, by adding a wee dab of epoxy to the joint where the tube intersects with the underside of the hand. This pic (original pic courtesy of Avitt) illustrates the location of the epoxy

handtuberepair.jpg

You often see similar problems with the chrono hands

3_dw_chronohands.jpg

Exactly Freddy, thanks for the pictures.

@ The Zigmeister: of course you can glue tube and hand together (if that's the only problem) . I understand that it's not easy to source parts in the rep world (sorry, i'm new here). So this may be the simplest and fastest (and thus best-) solution.

The only thing i would like to add: if glueing like that is done: make sure no glue can flow "into" the tube (for example via the top opening). And also make sure the glue on the outside of the tube isn't applied too thick or it could interfere with the free movement of the second hand tube inside the "minute wheel".

If applied too thick, there may be some friction between the two, certainly if the second hand is pushed a bit too deep onto the central second post into the hollow minute wheel.

Another cent added :)

Regards,

Lewis.