When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix vs. King - SMP, help me understand.

Guest Vddubgrub

Guest Vddubgrub

Hi guys, my first post but long time reader. Well after some research, I think the SMP from Silix and King are the best SMP reps on the market now.

My question is besides the crown guards, what is the difference between these two offerings? I've heard unconfirmed things such as bracelet quality being different. Anyone own both by any chance?

Guest Vddubgrub
in a cage match to the death?

i'll take Silix - they can tag team in and out.

haha. ^_^ Well Im about to go with Silix's SMP because overall I think its a better rep. How is reliability with the eta-2824 movement?

I have the Silix rep. Very happy with the dial, hands, bracelet and bezel insert. Keeps good time and has a nice quality feel. (But I damaged the insert, while aligning it. Damn)

It's good enough for me to consider buying another... unless a more accurate rep comes along.

Theres some info in this recent thread you might find valueable.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=79014

I JUST got a SMP from josh. Screws in the bracelet, pearl is off center in the triangle but he's sending a new insert for me. Other then that, its gen ETA, and very nice. The crown guards may not be exact, but they are WAY better than I expected out of what i've seen.

DSC02543.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

The crown guards are very much there, it seems more like the stem just protrudes too far.

The crown is the wrong shape and the CGs are too small. Believe me. I am very sure I have the SAME rep on my wrist right now. It's the most accurate version available at the moment.

The gen:

Seamaster-Pro-1-1.jpg

The crown is the wrong shape and the CGs are too small. Believe me. I am very sure I have the SAME rep on my wrist right now. It's the most accurate version available at the moment.

There's a bunch of obvious flaws on the SMP, but I'm enjoying it regardless. The pearl is off center in the triangle, that bothers me. We'll see what becomes of it, when the replacement insert arrives.

You eventually got your insert lined up using the hair dryer method?

Maybe I'll eventually send it to chief for AR and have him replace the bezel when he pops the crystal out.

I used the "hair dryer method" to the point that the watch was too hot to touch. Using a cotton towel, I could barely move the insert. Then I levered a sharp sewing needle between the crystal and the insert to lift the bezel insert off. And scratched it! Damn!

But it's aligned now.

To be totally frank, I'll be stunned if the replacement bezel from Josh actually shows up. Hope I'm wrong.