When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2893-3

Mikep

Be aware that it isn't simple. The 2893 is not the same size as the 2836 and the people I have talked toi about this have not been able to do it for me.

Bill

Another factor, I talked to RBJ about this a couple of weeks ago, as I have been trying very hard to find a Rolex GMT with the 2893-2 movement. These watches have been out of stock since the first of the year, and the rep manufacturers cannot get movements.

Anyway, The biggest problem, according to Joe is the hands. the hand stack is different on the 2836-2, and the GMT hand has a large "hole" as it sits on the bottom of the stack. The 2893-2 uses a different hand stack and the GMT hand will not fit. That can be remedied by having a custom hand fabricated, but when you factor in the cost of the movement ,correct spacers, labor as well as the cost of the donor watch, you are going to have an expensive rep. I know that there are lots of guys here on the board that have the talent and the resources to source genuine hands, dials, crowns and tubes, bezel inserts etc. If you are in to that sort of thing, building the ultimate 1665 or 1680, that's great, but if you are just a casual replica person, rebuilds and upgrades can be expensive and frustrating. And in the end, you still have a rep!!

By-Tor gave me some good advice, If you are trying to build a Rolex GMT, you can buy a genuine Rolex GMT (older model) on Ebay, or from some watchsellers on Timezone, etc. for 1300-1500 USD. That will be a bit more than you have in a rep, but the good part is you can wear the watch for 2-3 years and get all your money back if you decide to sell. If you are modding other brand GMT's, then that probably wouldn't apply.

Good luck

How do you go about getting a custom hand fabricated?

RBJ (Joe) hasa source that he uses that can fabricate hands. You would have to check with him as to price and availability.

Also i just realized that the original post said 2893-3. the GMT movements are 2893-2. I went to Ebay and put in 2893-2 and found none for sale.

RBJ (Joe) hasa source that he uses that can fabricate hands. You would have to check with him as to price and availability.

Also i just realized that the original post said 2893-3. the GMT movements are 2893-2. I went to Ebay and put in 2893-2 and found none for sale.

Yes the Ebay ad is for a 2893-3. I have not been able to find info on it, so I don't know the difference in a 2893-2 and 2893-3.

Mike

Ralex and Omega don't use 2893 type movements. The hour hand is independently adjustable in their watches, not the 24 hour "GMT" hand - a cheap and lazy compromise to make a GMT watch.

Sent Joe an e-mail inquiring about this. I had Joe do some mods for me on my Omega GMT (older version) but the gen GMT hand did not fit the rep movement (2836 movement). As a result, I have the shorter GMT hand.