When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

newbie questions- water-proofing

hi all,

im new to the forum and this is my very first post here, so please, be easy on me....=)

i read somwhere in the forum that it is very very difficult to make any rep water-tight because of their tube/ crown set-up.

is it ture? or is there any water-resistant rep out there that i am not aware of?

to make it more clear, is there any fiddy that is WR, let say to 100m plus?

furthermore, is there any modder out there whose able to WR a project "properly"?

thanks for all ur help!!!

Hey 0808,

Well, that's a difficult question to answer. It's difficult because with reps QC can be little to none. Meaning that sometimes parts will fit well and sometimes it won't. It's really a crap shoot. So if you're lucky you may just get a rare combo of parts that fit like a gen does, and then sometimes you won't. Hard to tell really. One general rule to follow with reps. An occassional dip/shower/etc. might be ok if you've had the rep serviced for seals/etc., but the generally you should leave the H2O activities to gens. Hope that helps.

And welcome.

EuroTimez Submariner Loves a dip his QC is second to none.

Pams are a different case even though DSN says his are rated to 3atm I wouldn't risk it.

a 1950 I would say is a No No

ST4

i also somehow doubt the level of WR on reps as well but then again nothing is perfect...=P

let me go and do some more homework to find out more about WR for pams....=)

I have swam in my 177h with no problems, infact i have done a drop test from a 5m board to the bottom of a 5m pool with no probs, i wore it last week while sailing/capsizing laser picos, i use that or a noob cased sterile sub or my sfso and my ingy if i am going to get wet, infact the only rep i have not swam in is my porto chrono and speedy, i remember going in a pool with my fiddy before i remembered i was wearing it, but be aware i have checked the seals crown and case backs on them all, Panerais all get a bit of work on the CG and lever so that it sits tight on the crown.

I cant comment in depth on WR of different models other then the one i have.

My Seiko gens are 100% WR :D

OK back to your question

My Noob mariner , without any mods , is tested up to 50 meters.

I swim on a regular basis with this baby without any problems.

My MBW1665 DRSD is also tested up to 50 meters and swimming is no problem.

In general for Rolex reps i dsicovered that you have to tighten the caseback because sometimes you can open them with a Sticky ball.

My PAM don't see any water not even a tap water.

If never tried to swim with them oand never had them tested.

Maybe next time i visit my watchsmith i will ask i'm to test my PAM111H from Tourby.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I can't comment on depth diving, as that's not something I've done, or had my watches pressure tested for. However. Of my PAMs, only my first 104 fogged up in the shower (it's replacement was waterproof 'out of the box'), and my 127 had a slight misalignment issue with the crown and CG Lever which meant the watch would not be waterproof normally. But. When I held the crown fully closed by hand, it did not flood or fog up when immersed... All my other PAMs, even the one with chrono pushers, have withstood activity up to brisk swimming :good:

hi mr. fish,

thank you for the input and that is what i thought as well.

i mean as long as the crown is properly locked down but what about inserting o-rings in the bezel and caseback?

could the 127 reps be made to accept o-rings for its caseback?

just curious,

thanks man!!!

Don

hi cats,

thanks for the comment!!!

yes i think there should not be any "serious" WR issues with the rep rolex

like you said, im more concerned with the rep pams... -_-

anyways, pls do keep us posted when u visit ur watchman next time!

thanks!