When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

This might be a stupid question but...

KevinCa316

ah ok. so basically they got caught?

btw on that subject how illegal is this anyways? whats the worst that could happen to me buying/owning one? im not worried just curious

likley burned at the stake

- actually its VERY illegal - and you could end up in jail for many many years - there are tons of laws (especially in the US) that can get you.

luckily its not worth the several thousand dollars of the legal systems time and money to prosecute you for a 300$ watch :)

well i assume its illegal along the same lines of downloading songs and movies off the internet, right?

yes and no - you are correct that there are copyright violations but, with reps your also dealing with counterfeit merch. If in the US, and the items are coming USPS or EMS then, your using the US postal system to traffic in counterfeit merchandise

Federal offense -

if you remember the movie the firm - it wasn't the fact that they were doing legal work for the mob - it was the mail fraud that got them in trouble for using the USPS.

every dealer we ever had here that was US based, was shut down inside a year either by Criminal investigation and or rolex's lawyers ect ect

i'm not sure what the penalties are, but i'm sure its huge, because penalties on these small crimes are -

and one can not forget the patriot act - i'm sure by typing this i'm violating it in some way.

some countries like Italy have cracked down Alot in recent years, to the point of detaining people going through customs and putting small time street vendors in jail.

there are a few countries that dealers don't like to drop ship to because of these types of issues.

alot of people claim its not illegal to Own a rep, but to buy or sell is - in the US anyway.

they maybe right in the criminal vs. civil context, of course your never free of civil liability to the watch companies.

and to make your point, the RIAA sues like 300 people every six months just to keep the news story going and people scared of downloading stuff -

the recent high court cases on this have NOT been good for DL'ers - i recommend that you pay the RIAA the 2500 they want and sign the note saying i promise never to DL again.

also, if your watch gets seized by US customs, and they call - tell them you have no idea what they are talking about :)

someone on the forum about once a year, maybe once a year and a half gets a threatening letter - search it, i'm sure you can find scans of the letter.

So far, other than dealers - no one has had any serious problems. I think the worst of the dealers is klink - dont know the actual story but i do know he was a dealer a while ago and got into real trouble. but he is a jackass anyway.

For along time we have held our head high stopping Ebay auctions and protecting some from other rep scammers - however, in the age of super reps - i have to believe plenty of folks use these forums to sell reps as gens - out in the real world. THe super reps are just to good and its so easy to make a killing - like on planet oceans or steelfish - gen price is reasonable, rep price is peanuts and frankly you have to open teh back of the movement or be a crazy hobbiest to know the difference. every sale is an easy 1k

and if i'm the crook, i'd tell the guy- look, this is a stolen watch, so don't take it to the authorized dealer cause the will have the serial number.

holy crap that is a great scam i just outlined - well guess we know what i'll be doing if my business fails :)