When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT 2 Ceramic Asia ETA vs. Swiss ETA

tooler

Newbie Alert :-) I have spent a good few days researching the various forums and this question isnt readily answered that I have found.

I've been trolling the forums and reading the reviews but I still have some base questions regarding the difference between the 2 movements.

Is it really worth the cost difference? 2$08 - 3$28 is pretty steep markup, will the Swiss ETA last that much longer or is the movement just 'better".

Also has the CHS issue been solved, all the reviews I have read indicated that the CHS Asain/Swiss had issues...

Thanks

Tooler

swiss movements use better materials on the parts that wear.

functionally swiss are typically 28.8k sweep, and instant date change at midnight.

if this isnt a problem a chinese made movement may be in your future.

i think ICHS is STILL the way to go. i can not comment if its worth the trouble of the accuracy of the hand stack, that seems like a personal desc.

The advantage to the Swiss movement is that it can be repaired- parts will fit and are available. But the problem is that you may buy what is advertised as Swiss and it turns out to be an asian copy movement. Looks like a 2836-2, but then parts may or may not fit. My asian copy movt is doing fine, but my nephew's just bit the bullet- we'll see what the watchmaker can do with it.

CHS is still a problem, but it's your choice. You may get lucky and you may not. IHS still is the best bet for reliability.

I ordered an asian, figured I would chance it (although I paid a lot less than 208, at that price I would have passed). Some have said they got swiss when ordering asian and also vice versa, luck of the draw i guess. For me if it fails, I'll glue the gmt hand and replace with a standard 2836 movement I have laying around.

• 1 month later...
I ordered an asian, figured I would chance it (although I paid a lot less than 208, at that price I would have passed). Some have said they got swiss when ordering asian and also vice versa, luck of the draw i guess. For me if it fails, I'll glue the gmt hand and replace with a standard 2836 movement I have laying around.

Where did you get it? you're happy with the quality you received?

thanks