When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

McCain picks Alaska Gov. as running mate

southcoast68

That would depend on who the Speaker of the House of Representatives was. I can't see the "GOP powerbrokers" letting a Democrat succeed, and there is no way to just pick who they want.

Has no-one see The West Wing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...e_of_succession

Like I said.....a bloody mess. They (the powerbrokers) would run the country with her as a figure head.

This is an interesting statement from the following article. http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/200...e_argument.html

"And the next U.S. leader will have to restore respect for America in the world; poll after poll shows how far our reputation has plummeted, because of Bush policies on Iraq, Guantanamo, global warming, etc. The United States cannot lead if the publics in Europe and Turkey and the Middle East disdain the White House. McCain cannot afford to admit Bush failures caused America's reputation to plunge."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An energised race is a good race. The more people are actually talking about politics, one way or another, the better informed the voters are.

This I do agree with, its been years since the US public has truly cared who runs for office IMO. While I think its a bad idea to turn any election into any worse a media circus than it already tends to be, this choice will get people talking. I know I will be more likely to watch the debates and news coverage than I would have otherwise, and not because Palin is a good looking woman. Now more than previous years its all about the economy, with housing down, un-employment up and the cost of gas, food, clothing and services seemingly going up weekly.

When we had Bush senior in office, the economy was in the crapper, the govenment itself could not even have the funds to run itself, un-employment was wide spread (I know, I was standing in those long lines for my un-employment check). We elect Clinton, the first Dem to President in 12 years, and things turned around. After 8 years of Bill, the economy was good, people had jobs and money and the federal budget defacit was about gone. In steps another Bush Rep, after about 8 years, we are again in the same lousy situation as when his old man was in office. Now I personally stay as "no party affiliation" since I prefer to listen to what a candidate has to say as opposed to what side of the field they play for and I also realize that its not so much who is elected, but the peoples perception of how the immediate future will be. This election will be decided by which side has a more convincing argument of how they plan to try and fix what is broken. It won't be about pro life vs pro choice, gay marriage vs conventional marriage, who looks good on camera, etc., it will be about the economy and what they plan to do about it. If in 4 years, economic situation turn around and people can pay the bills again, we will have at least 4 more years of the same.

Nanuq, if Palin goes to DC, who replaces her in Alaska? Seems like all you folks up there will really miss her.

@Southcoast... if she's elected then my buddy Sean (Parnell) takes over. He's a heck of a fine man. You're right, we will miss her a LOT. The guy before her was a megalomaniac and we threw him out, decisively.

She's able to get people involved and energized, and she knows when to take the gloves off. Better watch the MILF comments, Todd is even tougher! Have you ever heard of the Iron Dog race?

That's "all" that matters? The only things?

Are you judging her because her personal beliefs differ from yours?

Isn't that sort of ........... intolerant?

Her personal beliefs do not "differ" from his, SHE is the one trying to tell people how they should live their life.

Not wanting to have such a b1tch as a VP is not intollerant, its common sense.

If you dont want to get an abortion, be my guest, by maybe some girl who got raped wants to get one.

I soooo hope that this kid is indeed her daughters and that she tried to cover it up and they will go DOWN.

People like her who call homos sinners make me sick. Its people like her who were responsible for the killing of the jews, its people like her who were repsonsible for all the bad and evil that happened to humanity in the past 1000s of years.

The wise man is powerless against the stupid. Thats a real shame. I'm thankful I'm not so narrow minded and not so intollerant like some others.

And reading this thread really makes me built up some kind of cordial dislike a gainst certain people here, so I better get the hell out.

Let's not go overboard. Anyone who uses birth control of any form is a sinner in Palin's mind so the term kind of loses all meaning.

America, if you don't believe in evolution, global warming or the constitution and think that God gives you babies whenever he wants and you shouldn't mess with that you finally have your candidate.

I soooo hope that this kid is indeed her daughters and that she tried to cover it up and they will go DOWN.

People like her who call homos sinners make me sick. Its people like her who were responsible for the killing of the jews, its people like her who were repsonsible for all the bad and evil that happened to humanity in the past 1000s of years.

The wise man is powerless against the stupid. Thats a real shame. I'm thankful I'm not so narrow minded and not so intollerant like some others.

And reading this thread really makes me built up some kind of cordial dislike a gainst certain people here, so I better get the hell out.

Edited by redbird

@CT..I think the map illustrates how much of a warrior this women is. That's most certainly good thing! On the Bill Mahr thoughts, he was not disparaging her son, he was making fun of Edwards. I posted my thoughts a few pages back, the rest was meant as entertaining anecdotes. I can understand how you found that offensive and I apologize but thats what Bill Mahr does, he tells jokes which consequently will offend people. Depending on were you stand, you can interpret humor in very different ways.

@LR..You're right. I'm not glorifying it. What she did probably wasn't so smart but at least the baby is alright. I think this thread is beginning to divide people in not such a great way. Although I always love to discuss politics I think we should stick to discussing replicas here :)

Edited by UB7

I've never given birth, but I just don't see anything impressive about her waiting almost 14 hours after her water broke to go to the hospital. It was a foolish move and it could of cost the lives of her or the baby. Do not put her on a pedestal for it. Some woman somewhere will see it and think she can do it too and will not be as lucky.

@CT..I think the map illustrates how much of a warrior this women is. That's most certainly good thing!

What you don't know is that her opposition is trying smear her by saying it was her own irresponsibility that *caused* her baby to be born with Down's Syndrome, which [of course] isn't supported anywhere in the literature for Down's babies. Your flow chart is an attempt to perpetuate this rubbish.

On the Bill Mahr thing, he was not disparaging her son, he was making fun of Edwards. I posted my thoughts a few pages back, the rest was meant as entertaining anecdotes. I can understand how you found that offensive and I apologize but thats what Bill Mahr does, he tells jokes which consequently will offend people. Depending on were you stand, you can interpret humor in very different ways.

Clearly you don't support the ticket. The irony, though, is that each time the McCain/Palin detractors further propagate garbage that goes after her parenting or her disabled infant son, they're merely helping make an easy decision for tens of thousands of undecided independent soccer moms to cast their ballots for the ticket. And with up to 20% of undecided independents falling into that category, they might as well just be hitting the campaign trail for the candidates they're trying to smear.

Like I said numerous times.....a bloody mess. I feel for this young lady, children should be left out of politics. For ALL the candidates.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idU...=22&sp=true

No one can claim a perfectly lived life except messiahs. Proof of one's principles are not shown when the sailing is smooth, but when storms arrive.

Not likely now. It turns out her unmarried 17-year old Daughter was pregnant as well. She's now being lovingly forced into a shotgun wedding.

What you don't know is that her opposition is trying smear her by saying it was her own irresponsibility that *caused* her baby to be born with Down's Syndrome, which [of course] isn't supported anywhere in the literature for Down's babies. Your flow chart is an attempt to perpetuate this rubbish.

Seeing as we were told she knew it had Down's Syndrome well before it was born, I don't think that's being implied at all. I don't think anyone is implying she tried to have an 'accidental miscarriage' either, so let's not start on that one.

Not likely now. It turns out her unmarried 17-year old Daughter was pregnant as well. She's now being lovingly forced into a shotgun wedding.

I honestly think they might have staged this pregnancy in order to get the focus away from the other child. I mean it would be easy for them to make her daughter a pregnant-like belly and then just adopt a baby. Then everyone will think that the first baby was actually hers.

I mean, I have seen pictures of Palin when she was 8 months pregnant, and she did NOT look like a pregnant woman.

I really think the republicans are capable of doing this. If they can rig an election for a few vots, they sure as hell can do this. Her daughter being pregnant now is not as bad as her trying to cover a previous pregnancy up.

I agree. It's about as important as someone getting a [censored], to be honest.

you got a [censored]?

why can pugwash write bl0w j0b but i cant??!?

I honestly think they might have staged this pregnancy in order to get the focus away from the other child. I mean it would be easy for them to make her daughter a pregnant-like belly and then just adopt a baby. Then everyone will think that the first baby was actually hers.

Close. Actually it was Hurricane Gustav that was staged to take the focus away from the pregnant daughter.

you got a [censored]?

why can pugwash write bl0w j0b but i cant??!?

You have to pay to say blowjob.

Seeing as we were told she knew it had Down's Syndrome well before it was born, I don't think that's being implied at all. I don't think anyone is implying she tried to have an 'accidental miscarriage' either, so let's not start on that one.

Right, it was not being implied. It was being explicitly put forth by extremists without having the benefit of facts about the disability. But what *is* now being implied by these same desperate people is that because Palin only announced after giving birth that her child had Down's Syndrome, she in fact never really knew in advance.