When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Minimalist

caracarnj

Hi guys, below are some ultra thin watches that prove less is more! Enjoy.

022minimalistchicvp1.jpg

Zenith's New Vintage 1955 is a classic ultra-flat watch, but with an auto movement, housed in a 40mm Fifties style case. COSC certified, and available in just 250 rose gold pieces.

Two gents' skelette watches come to the fore this year. Patek Philippe's offering, the reference 5180/1, is presented on a white gold bracelet, which makes it a little expensive while Piaget's version sits on more affordable black croco. Take your pick.

And if you think the representative called Quai De L'Ile here from Vacheron Constantin is yet another example of a skeletonised watch, you would not be altogether correct. In fact, this manufacture is now offering you the ultimate in understated watch snobbery - the opportunity to choose from 400 different made-to-measure combinations of this new line. All this comes with top-notch security, in terms of unique 'fingerprinting' for each timepiece.

A simpler time-and-date version is shown here (based on movement calibre 2460QH), but there's also a version with day, date and power reserve (using movement calibre 2475SC/1). The seven-part, cushion-shaped case alone can be mixed and matched in different ways, and the metals available are pink gold, palladium and titanium.

The Glashutte Original Pano-Inverse XL is a perfect example of why sometimes the most obvious ideas only become obvious after someone makes you ask: 'Now, why didn't I think of that?'

In this case, we are talking about the idea of putting the 'heart' of the watch onto the dial, instead of hiding it in the back. Displayed here in their full glory, on the dial side of the white gold case, are the brand's hand-engraved balance bridge and signature duplex swan-neck regulator arrangement.

Baume & Mercier honours a third-generation leader of their firm called William Baume with a three-piece special red gold edition in 2008, in a limited edition of 178 each. Our favourite is the understated 41mm auto piece shown here with big date and a squiggly hand for its retro-second counter at 6 o'clock.

And, of course, after six round watches, we have to offer you something different in the form of a square in this Girard-Perregaux Vintage 1945 timepiece. We have an extra fondness for this piece because GP has found a very neat way to lay out time, date, seconds and power reserve on a rare white enamel dial.

022aminimalistchicjr8.jpg

THE LUC XP is the kind of ultra-thin watch that tries to give you more for less. For example, not having a seconds hand actually made their new slate grey dial stand out even more against a rose gold case. And, despite the latter's slim profile, this perfectionist manufacture has managed to fit in twin barrels offering a more-than-decent 65 hours power reserve with a full wind.

Finally, if you would like to be part of history, Omega plans to launch a limited-edition lookalike of their Seamaster XVI, which was produced in honour of the Melbourne Olympics in 1956. Proudly embossed with the Roman numerals XXIX to honour this month's 29th Olympiad in Beijing, this limited edition combines history with a very special event and the best technology the brand can offer today. A co-axial movement beats inside the 37mm yellow gold case, and, of course, for a Seamaster, it has to boast 100-metre water resistance.

Cheers!

Edited by caracarnj

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Zenith is particularly beautiful. I like a thin, classic outline for a timepiece as much as any supercomplicated piece.

The Glashutee Panoinverse XL is a ridiculously beautiful watch. I think they give some of the finest lines in their casings. What I'd give for a rep of that piece.

Thanks for sharing these pics. I wonder if they're a hint for the next generation of reps and collectors' cases.

kt