When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thanks Pugwash and By-Tor!

ubiquitous

I've been practicing a little on some pics I've taken; thanks to Pug and BT, I think I'm starting to understand some of this photoshop stuffs.

The real trick is to do it all in the lens so this isn't necessary. :D

Still, the more you do this, the more you know what exactly you're trying to do in the lens.

@ubiquitous,

You always take excellent pics... PhotoShop will enhace, of course. But its a bit like gilding the lilly, really.

However, in conversation with my tame pro photographer, recently, I said that we now use PhotoShop, "because we can."

"No", he replied, "We use PhotoShop because we must".

"My job is to give you the best possible pic. For years, I have been doing my best to do this using conventional equipment" (And, I should interject, he is pretty damn good at it)... "Now, I still take the best pic that I possibly can, using the abilities of my camera, my lights and my experience to the full... then I pop the shot into PhotoShop and improve it".

You always take excellent pics... PhotoShop will enhace, of course. But its a bit like gilding the lilly, really.

The point of Photoshop is to enhance your work, in my opinion. If your pictures are crappy, then Photoshop isn't really going to help.

Garbage in, garbage out.

There is also a tendancy to overshop some pictures, whereas I try to use it just to bring out what's already there.

Now, I know some of you are going to find this hard to believe, but this picture here ...

84436-29692.jpg

... came off the camera like this ...

84436-29693.jpg

... and I was happy with the low-light version coming off the camera because I knew the data I wanted and what I could get away with.