When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"BKmariner" Black Sub

AllergyDoc

Ordered and paid for on June 8. Received Sept 2. One hell of a long wait.

BK's specs:

- most select sub rep with sharp bezel teeth, correct date font. No overly deep teeth cuts that are into the bezel lip, no rounded teeth.

- CGs trimmed

- widened bezel lip to be more gen-like. It's hard to see the widened lip in the pics but it looks awesome in real life.

- insert refitted to be recessed, no floating insert. This is some serious sanding.

- ETA movement

- watchmaterial pearl

- do my best to center the cyclop by popping and re-pressing the crystal if the cyclop came askew

- custom made correct sized crown

- $360, shipped CONUS

I waited until too late in the day to take the pics.

BKmariner%20best.jpg

BKmariner%20cerub.jpg

BKmariner%20crown.jpg

BKmariner%20pearl.jpg

BKmariner%20wrist.jpg

The rotor sounds a tad loud to my ears.

The bracelet is a typical "noob" bracelet and needs serious oiling. I've WD40'ed it but it still needs oil.

I've filed the edges of the links but they need a second treatment.

I must say the SSD feels better on the wrist to me. I admit, though, that having to wait so long for this watch soured me a little toward it. Maybe I'll feel differently after oiling the bracelet.

Guest Vddubgrub
Ordered and paid for on June 8. Received Sept 2. One hell of a long wait.

BK's specs:

I waited until too late in the day to take the pics.

The rotor sounds a tad loud to my ears.

The bracelet is a typical "noob" bracelet and needs serious oiling. I've WD40'ed it but it still needs oil.

I've filed the edges of the links but they need a second treatment.

I must say the SSD feels better on the wrist to me. I admit, though, that having to wait so long for this watch soured me a little toward it. Maybe I'll feel differently after oiling the bracelet.

I have one just like it. For the price you cant get a better sub. Wear it and you'll love it.

Edited by Stephane
Removed the quoted photos :)

Look at that pearl! Amazing. This is the first I've read about widening the bezel lip on the noob. I might have to look into this before I replace the insert on my noob. Also, that crown looks so much better than the fat noob crown. I have to order one. It could be the pics, but your rehaut depth looks much better than mine. Also, the crystal height looks better too. Maybe I got a bad one, or maybe it's a combination of the ETA vs A2813 and the recessed insert? Either way, looks great. Wear it well. :good:

The watch looks very nice. I'm on my 5th noob at this point tho, so I guess I'm partial. Two to nephews, one BKed so to speak, gen crown and tube, better pearl, shaped cg's, insert sanded; one made into a 16800- same mods, and another waiting for final disposition...

I'm not exactly sure what 'widening the bezel lip' really means, but my only reservation with the noob is that the bezel is just slightly smaller than the gen bezel- maybe like .2mm on the inside- so fitting a gen insert requires sanding all the way around the perimeter, plus sanding the back side to recess it in the bezel- a lot of work. That's why last time I used the noob insert and just put the WM pearl in there.

But my noob is my favorite beater- if there's a chance I might tear up my watch, I wear the noob, and it's WR so it's great for swimming, etc.

Here's my noob on the right, gen 16800 on the left.

post-175-1220790094_thumb.jpg

Edited by alligoat