When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pictorial Review: Sinn Flieger 756

dylan

All the info below have been pilfered from various websites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For reference sake:

1. Sinn 556

a. ETA 2824-2

b. stainless steel

2. Sinn 656

a. ETA 2824-2

b. sandblasted SS case

c. 657: addition of rotating bezel

3. Sinn 756

a. ETA 7750

b. tegiment steel technology:The case has a thin outer layer of special anti-corrosive stainless steel which is also used in surgical implants. This protective shell is hardened to 1,200 Vickers (4 times harder than the regular stainless steel used in other watches). In comparison, the first series' case was hardened to 700 Vickers.

c. 757: addition of rotating bezel

d. 756, 757 UTC: addition of GMT complication

e. 756, 757 UTC DIAPAL: chronograph with a completely lubricant free escapement, which is a world first. Every wristwatch requires a service every few years as the escapement wheels and pallets need lubricating to avoid friction. Sinn used the technological innovations of the space program to develop a lubrication free escapement called DIAPAL, which is a reference to the friction reducing technique of replacing the ruby pallet stones with diamonds, hence the name DIAmond PALlets. The diamond pallets are then fitted to the traditional movements, in this case the Valjoux 7750, so you have the tried and tested Valjoux 7750, which is the world standard for automatic chronographs, which has been modified with space age technology to make it friction free. This is a technology which has been years in the making at the Sinn labs.

4. Sinn 856, 857 UTC

a. ETA 2893-2

The above models also come in PVD-ish finish as well. Along with strap or bracelet.

VERY BRIEF/TRUNCATED HISTORY & TECHNOLOGY OF SINN

HISTORY:

After its establishment, the company constructed instrumental watches and watches for pilots based on Mr. Sinn's extensive aviation experience, that was primarily based on dissatisfaction with the flight watches that were available for pilot and navigational purposes at that time. Sinn's own designs incorporated the features and functionality that he felt more fit for the purpose as an instrument watch. This design philosophy has transcended the company's culture right through to the present day.

Solely selling the watches with direct marketing, thereby avoiding additional costs of trade, Sinn was able to sell its watches with a very good price/performance ratio. The watches were manufactured as OEM products in Switzerland according to Sinn's specifications and very popular among pilots because of their outstanding quality and design.

In 1994, Helmut Sinn sold the company to Dipl.-Ing. Lothar Schmidt, who constructed watches in the Porsche-Design Team in the 1970s and later on was authorized officer of the IWC. Among other things, Schmidt designed watch cases made from titanium for the IWC and after 1990 he was responsible for the rebuilding of the IWC brand A. Lange & S

Have I read it correcly that the watch photographed is on two different straps:

A genuine IWC buffalo and a Di-Modell Chronissimo strap?

They look so close to one another, I bet theres a huge difference in price though.

I think Id get bored of the watch quicker than I would the strap, Ive heard a lot about Di-Modell and I can see why!

A lot of watch for the money...you never know when you might climb Mt. Everest or stuck in a magnetic field...

actually were all stuck in a magnetic field - it is the magnetic fields of the earth's core that protect our atmosphere from wearing away from solar radiation (like what happened to mars)

however, i was just watching a show last week, where they explained that the earth's polarities have shifted over time and at sometimes have inverted - so, sometimes N is actually South and South north ect ect.

there is an absence of magnetic fields in certain areas of the southern hemispheres that have some scientists concerned

so, there is either that - or you could be one of those "magnet therapy" people (or more likely just trying to sleep with one for the sake of an eve's good time) - and now your imaginary magnetic healing bracelet won't F up your automatic watch

and - for the record - i Really want a sinn :) seems like that ebay auction is a pretty good deal