When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for the right gen vintage

jmt

Which do you like better  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choice #1 or Choice #2 (at 2x the price of choice 1)

• Snowflake
    • GMT

As Ubi said - 7K is steep for a no-paper 16750. 8.7K for a watch with papers - well, maybe you can show pics so we could check out how case and dial look. Generally i say - try looking further - in the past two months I had the chance to get a pretty nice 16750 with b&p for 6.5K$ and a pristine one without b&p for 5.3K$

It's also interesting to note that the Rolex market in general seems to sort of flow in cycles. For the past few months over the Summer, I've been seeing a bit of a lull in sales on the secondary market; some nice pieces have been sitting for a while with weekly reductions at times. Granted, this isn't applicable to all models across the board, however it is worth while to note that this trend is actually taking place with some models that one would typically consider to be 'in-demand'.

If you're looking for a good deal on watches, an IWJG show may net some good results. Granted you have to become a member...

OK, been digging around, and here's what I have found that's available in a 16750 matte dial. I will post the pics and get reactions, and then I will let you know what they are asking for them...

First one, you've seen above at the top of the post.

Rolex_16750.jpg

Second one:

pic1.jpg

Third one:

pic2.jpg

Fourth:

timezone5250.jpg

The first comes with service papers only; the second and third with punched papers, box, etc.; the last one with no papers

What do you guys think? Can you guess the asking prices?

Four it is for me. :) Three and Four both have the 5.3mm crown and they both look good - I#d base the opinion on the pirce between the two. No B&P is okay if you wear it - it's not okay if you are looking at it as an investment.

OK, so I still won't reveal the prices yet, but I should tell you guys that #4 is slightly more than 2x the price of #3.

3 is in fact the most expensive and 4 the least.

Change anyone's opinion?

OK, been digging around, and here's what I have found that's available in a 16750 matte dial. I will post the pics and get reactions, and then I will let you know what they are asking for them...

First one, you've seen above at the top of the post.

Rolex_16750.jpg

Second one:

pic1.jpg

Third one:

pic2.jpg

Fourth:

timezone5250.jpg

The first comes with service papers only; the second and third with punched papers, box, etc.; the last one with no papers

What do you guys think? Can you guess the asking prices?

So, here are the prices:

#1-- RSC papers, $7k

#2-- box, punched papers-- $8700

#3-- box, papers-- $10,500

#5-- no papers-- $5300

Seem a few others as well, and these are market asking prices. $7k is a very common rate for a nice one with RSC papers...from the looks of things, $8700 seems a decent deal...

:) The pricing dynamic of vintage Rolex is interesting, but it makes sense; so many of the sports models had quickly escalated up in price and value; certain specific pieces had some very sharp increases that seemed to compound on an almost daily basis. Certain models like the 1675, 16750, 5513 were late to the party... I suspect that many who wanted in on the investment phenominon saw these options as their foot in the door, hence pushing prices up to current levels as a result. Meanwhile, pieces like the 6263/5's and some of the divers have started coming back down in correction (though the top of the top still command premium prices).

Interesting, cause it wasn't that long ago that everyone (both here and gen fora) were astounded to bear witness to the first $25k DRSD; these days, those prices have exceeded that threshold far beyond, yet I've seen some pieces (full package as well) start to stall out in the $40k range.

Then add in the curent economic strains....

I still maintain that a good deal and value is likely to be had at an IWJG show... Folks are looking to liquidate... If you wait until the last or second to last day of the show (while dealers are packing up), you can probably strike a good last minute deal...

:) The pricing dynamic of vintage Rolex is interesting, but it makes sense; so many of the sports models had quickly escalated up in price and value; certain specific pieces had some very sharp increases that seemed to compound on an almost daily basis. Certain models like the 1675, 16750, 5513 were late to the party... I suspect that many who wanted in on the investment phenominon saw these options as their foot in the door, hence pushing prices up to current levels as a result. Meanwhile, pieces like the 6263/5's and some of the divers have started coming back down in correction (though the top of the top still command premium prices).

Interesting, cause it wasn't that long ago that everyone (both here and gen fora) were astounded to bear witness to the first $25k DRSD; these days, those prices have exceeded that threshold far beyond, yet I've seen some pieces (full package as well) start to stall out in the $40k range.

Then add in the curent economic strains....

I still maintain that a good deal and value is likely to be had at an IWJG show... Folks are looking to liquidate... If you wait until the last or second to last day of the show (while dealers are packing up), you can probably strike a good last minute deal...

Good note. The DRSD comment is spot on because of the rareity of the dials. These matte 16750s are NOT that rare, but they were only made for 3 years (i think... maybe 2)... so they are not all that common either...I suspect they will be in good demand going forward (especially considering their beauty).

Listen to him...great advice. I know for fact that alot dealers are selling franken as gen.

If I find a T/T chocolate dial GMT 1675 at 3k, i would pay cash, and sleep with a big smile.

My 1st choice would be 4 & the price is probably between $5k-$6k+, but, without paperwork, I would want it opened & inspected by Rolex or a Rolex-trained watchsmith unless the seller's credentials are absolutely stellar.