When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Breitiling Skyland Wont Hold Time!

mrshagz

Recently purchased, havent been able to get the watch to keep time.. Ive manually wound up the watch and have given it a shake... but it only seems to hold for a day.. when i go to bed and wake up usually has stopped in the middle of the night.. any ideas why? What can I do? Thanks!

have you worn it all day and still it keep stopping during the night? If you dont wear it it will stop, and if you wind it up manually you should take about forty turns on the crown(the thing you wind it up with). And you do of course wind it up the right way, turning the crown upwards (toward 12)?

Thats all I got for tips..

Recently purchased, havent been able to get the watch to keep time.. Ive manually wound up the watch and have given it a shake... but it only seems to hold for a day.. when i go to bed and wake up usually has stopped in the middle of the night.. any ideas why? What can I do? Thanks!

Contact the dealer you bought it and he may help you.I had a Tag Link with the same problem and send it back.

First read some instructions on the movement. If you don't know the basic principals of an automatic watch there's no need to contact the dealer. As you are new on the forum we don't know your level of expertise. It could be you are used to quartz (battery) watches and have absolutely no idea of how an automatic movement functions and behaves...

New watches can sometimes take from 7 - 30 days to really "settle" before they run as well as they will without servicing.

If you have the stopwatch function running, it will wear down the power reserve quicker obviously than without.

To start the watch, as you have done, a gentle swirl for a few times should be enough to get it going. Once running, you can set the time...remembering NOT TO SET THE DATE THE QUICK WAY BETWEEN ABOUT 2100h and 0400h or you will screw up the date set mechanism. Seriously!

You can wind the watch as stated earlier using the crown...but this will prematurely wear down the movement and The Zigmeister our resident movement expert has posted a technical explanation with photographs on this.

A watch, fully "wound" with active arm movement across an entire day will generally at most have no more than 48hrs of power reserve, if you are not very active during the day wearing it (i.e. you sit at a desk)...it could be much less.

Some movements just have bad power reserve. I have one that is about 30hrs...and others that are about the 48hr...so it's a bit hit and miss. A movement servicing should solve this...but the cost of doing a proper servicing (over a quick surface oiling) may be prohibitive for you.

Start by slowly hand winding it with about 30 turns. This should give you a full charge, and note how long it runs. The next thing to look for is whether the rotor is attached and spinning freely. In a quite room hold the watch flat and give it a gentle shake and listen for a spinning sound from the back of the watch. Sometimes the screw that holds the rotor on comes loose, and the watch will not automatically wind.

Asian 7750 movements frequently need some time to "wear in" and loosen up enough to keep a good power reserve.

Usually they are fine in 1-2 weeks of daily wear.

I usually just put it on in the morning, stopped or not, and let my arm movements wind it - then I set it about an hour later when I get to work.

After a few days they usually hold well past the morning and I don't have to re-set them anymore - by the end of a month they are humming along like a trooper.