When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTIIc needs some work

eagle_lex

Is there a reason you did not detail the nature of the problem you want fixed?

no reason... just didnt want to bore anyone with the details. the crown does not screw in or out smoothly and only requires about a half turn before its screwed down or out. this is not correct i imagine. the gmt hand sometimes drags upon start up when the watch powers down completely and has to be restarted. i figured while the crown was being replaced i could have the watchsmith look at the movement and see if a lube would help. im also open to the possibility of switching out the movement for a true gmt movement. (i know this requires new hands and lots of work)

hope that helps! thanks again.

no reason... just didnt want to bore anyone with the details. the crown does not screw in or out smoothly and only requires about a half turn before its screwed down or out. this is not correct i imagine. the gmt hand sometimes drags upon start up when the watch powers down completely and has to be restarted. i figured while the crown was being replaced i could have the watchsmith look at the movement and see if a lube would help. im also open to the possibility of switching out the movement for a true gmt movement. (i know this requires new hands and lots of work)

hope that helps! thanks again.

The crown not screwing down properly is a common problem, which is most likely due to a worn crown tube (possibly worn threads within the crown, but much less likely). A simple fix for any watchmaker with a replacement tube (we usually rethread the case with a tap & then fit a Swiss-made aftermarket or genuine Rolex tube, both of which can be gotten from ebay or most watch parts suppliers)

crown_assembly1.jpg

Ordinarily, it is a good idea to have the movement fully serviced when you receive a new rep (since most of the movements in reps are used/unserviced when you receive them). But the movements in the GMTIIC are so finicky that The Master here (Ziggy) has all but refused to work on them at all due to their fragile nature. And I think alot of others here would follow his lead (I know I do). If you can locate a better replacement movement & handset, that would be a good option.

freddy,

wow, thank you sir. that is pretty much what i figured. i have a local preowned rolex jeweler that wants me to bring the watch to him so he can play with it some. (i know the rules about taking reps to dealers as i have two gen subs myself) he is a long time friend and swears he can put a legit gmt movement in it. im not too concerned about that but i DO want the crown to be more GEN LIKE. i will touch base here and update you on the progress. i was just hunting on this board to see if any guys here might be a better option as they (like yourself) would probably be more versed in the rep movement and rep watch in general.

thanks again and any futher assistance would be appreciated. my next rep is probably going to come form either eurotimez or BK as they seem to be more quality controled. i would love to have a greenie sub. perhaps a higher end like a euromariner or W9. not sure which is best and dont worry i wont ask that out loud! LOL

Edited by eagle_lex

Ordinarily, it is a good idea to have the movement fully serviced when you receive a new rep (since most of the movements in reps are used/unserviced when you receive them). But the movements in the GMTIIC are so finicky that The Master here (The Zigmeister) has all but refused to work on them at all due to their fragile nature. And I think alot of others here would follow his lead (I know I do). If you can locate a better replacement movement & handset, that would be a good option.

Out of curiousity Freddy...are there any viable movement options out there to sub in for modified Asian GMT movements? A Rolex 1575 would be great...but generally not viable...I don't know if it would even fit in that case. Would an ETA 2893-2 fit in the rep cases (for things like the GMT IIc, Pam GMTs, regular GMT II's...etc)?

Does anybody supply spare Asian GMT movements for the reps??

Thanks for any info. I haven't really seen this discussed outside of people modding with high end, rare movements...not really viable for me.

Out of curiousity Freddy...are there any viable movement options out there to sub in for modified Asian GMT movements? A Rolex 1575 would be great...but generally not viable...I don't know if it would even fit in that case. Would an ETA 2893-2 fit in the rep cases (for things like the GMT IIc, Pam GMTs, regular GMT II's...etc)?

Does anybody supply spare Asian GMT movements for the reps??

Some of the watch parts houses offer Asian GMT movements, but I have never used these, so you would need to check with them to be sure. You might do some research to see what is available & post the results here, because alot of people have been asking the same question.

Depending on how much work you are willing to do, I think you could probably fit either movement in there. The 1575 GMT is the largest of the 3 (28.2mm x 6.3mm). Between the 2893-2 (25.6mm x 4.1mm) & 2836-2 (25.6mm x 5.05mm), the 36 is the larger of the 2, so, other than possibly having to reorient the movement within the case to account for the height/stem alignment differences, I think that would work as well. But you also have to factor in a set of replacement hands for the 1575 if you go that route since the ETA hands (which should fit either ETA) will not fit the Rolex movement.

Some of the watch parts houses offer Asian GMT movements, but I have never used these, so you would need to check with them to be sure. You might do some research to see what is available & post the results here, because alot of people have been asking the same question.

Depending on how much work you are willing to do, I think you could probably fit either movement in there. The 1575 GMT is the largest of the 3 (28.2mm x 6.3mm). Between the 2893-2 (25.6mm x 4.1mm) & 2836-2 (25.6mm x 5.05mm), the 36 is the larger of the 2, so, other than possibly having to reorient the movement within the case to account for the height/stem alignment differences, I think that would work as well. But you also have to factor in a set of replacement hands for the 1575 if you go that route since the ETA hands (which should fit either ETA) will not fit the Rolex movement.

I'm not so hot on movement dimension and jigging like you fine watchmakers, but I'll see what I can source. It is an interesting dilemma. There are a few movements that would be nice to be able to buy spares of...an Asian GMT that would fit the re cases being one...and a an automatic jump movement to fit the Muller, Genta and other cases as well!

Thanks for the info Freddy...that already provides more information than I had.