When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navitimer on Canal St.

William Campbell

Recently I was on Canal Street and saw a Breitling Navitimer Rep. It looked really good to me and had some weight to it . It had the 12 9 6 dials and was an automatic. I don't remember if it said "Serie Special". I didn't check to see if the chronos worked and I don't know if it had a saphire. The dealer wanted $65. My question is, what movement did it likely have, and what would the quality be and how long would it likely last? I thought the automatics were all 7750, but could it have sold for such a low price? And would a watch this inexpensive have a saphire? I don't care if the chronos work but I do want a Saphire. How can I know without actually scratching it? Do you think this could be a good buy? Thanks in advance.

I thought the automatics were all 7750, but could it have sold for such a low price?

No.

And would a watch this inexpensive have a saphire?

No.

Do you think this could be a good buy? Thanks in advance.

It might be an ok deal for $65 but it won't have sapphire and it won't have a 7750 with working chronos.

You're new here...so welcome.

Read the many informative posts here, and you will find out there is a HUGE difference in the quality of the reps available. Some reps are extremely expensive and a total rip off for what you get. Other reps are cheap...but surprisingly accurate. There are $100 and $300 versions of the same reps available with different movements and different cases, dials, straps, etc.

Read on...and you will find there are even subtle differences between the high end reps you can find from the dealers people have had good experiences here. But, in general...as said above, you will not got a "super rep" for $65 of any Breitling. A Beginmariner/Noobmariner can be had for about that price...but that's about it.

Stephane and I were walking down canal st not too long ago, and we saw all the reps displayed clear as day (except rolex). Trust me, each one was worse than the other, and if you would spend the time to haggle, you could walk away with any of them for $35.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Toadtorrent, stick around a while and read up, there are lots good deals to be had.

Cheers,

JJ

price is price and you usually get what you pay for. I realise in this field thats not always so, but for the most part, a 65 dollar watch is no where near a 300 dollar or more watch. That being said, for the most part canal street is sh*t, HOWEVER if you stay on here long enough and know what to look for, you can find great buys on canal street. again, it depends on who you know and what you know about watches. THEY WILL try and take advantage of you, since most of canal is tourists.

your best bet is to stick to the dealers on this site. they will not steer you wrong (for the most part <_< .

...I do want a Saphire. How can I know without actually scratching it?...

How good is your ear?

If you tap the crystal with the very tip of a fingernail (no finger, just nail), you'll be able to hear the diffrence. Saphire will make a very clear, high, 'tink'. Other materials, will make a dull 'thunk'. Once you've heard the two sounds, you'll easily be able to identify one, even without the other :) As for is it a good buy... Well, if you like how it looks, it meets your requirements in terms of form and function, and you're happy with the price, then yes :)

I read somewhere that if you place a droplet of water onto the crystal, if it is a Sapphire, the droplet should keep it's shape, whereas the mineral glass will just run off in all directions.

That is also true. On saphire, a droplet can still roll off, but, a single droplet will, as you say, keep a tight, round shape, where the mineral glass, it will spread out. However, that requires access to water, so not the easiest 'street test' to carry out ;)

That is also true. On saphire, a droplet can still roll off, but, a single droplet will, as you say, keep a tight, round shape, where the mineral glass, it will spread out. However, that requires access to water, so not the easiest 'street test' to carry out ;)

I like the term you coined - 'Street Test'... ;)

I live 40 min from Canel Street and go every year with the wife to shop and eat in Little Italy. The reps...say 98% of them are crap as compared with what you can find on here. You wont find a Rolex rep even remotely like the Noob mariner. In fact when I was there earlier this year I asked around for the TOP quality Rolex Sub. The best offered was a POS with a date mag maybe 1.25X. I pointed this out and the responce was..."All the new Sub models come that way"....LOLOL. You can find some reps that look like something you would find here but how can anyone be sure? Here at least if you dont get what you paid for something could be done about it. On Canal Street once you give them the $ ...your stuck with whatever you bought.

I like the term you coined - 'Street Test'... ;)

Thanks, bro, it was the only thing I could think of :D Kind of the opposite of 'bench testing', under controlled conditions, this is the 'street testing' for out 'in the wild' where the usual tricks (water drop test etc) just don't work ;)