When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 127 Fiddy - Current Situation?

im2

It seems that it is a hard time for those lately interested in the famous 127 PAM ...

I ve done my research as my interest on this watch is growing and i didnot find things really encouraging...

So, i would like some (up to date) info from people who know..

It seems that every dealer now sells the standard E117 case right?

DSN does not sell anymore the Fiddy, i asked him yesterday...

Swan neck movement no longer in stock anywhere???

As it is very hard to find those EL watches... which are the best alternative combo for a Fiddy?

Buy a case (puretime maybe??) and send it somewhere to be modded? (Somewhere ? )

Sorry if my questions sound a bit newbie-style, i ve done my research , but things concerning the Fiddy seem to change constantly last months.....

I would appreciate your ideas and recommendations

IMHO, Fiddys and their availability come and go. The 117 case is now standard issue and is a damn good case. After that it does get a little more hazy. The biggest issue and most difficult to solve when either buying one assembled or doing it yourself is the dial. For whatever reason they now all appear to have grey font. Deltick was offering a nice looking base watch with Asian movement for a reasonable price. I don't know whether he still has them. You might start with that and then add parts as you find them. But in my mind the biggest issue is finding a good dial. I never understood why they all went grey on the font. Bear in mind that as I say this the basic Fiddy rep is one of the best PAM reps on the wrist. As with any clear backed PAM once you flip it over it will be obvious. :)

Hi,

Try Angus from Puretime.

Someone over at RG recently got one from him with the following

1.) Superlumed sandwiched dial

2.) ARed crsytal

3.) Correct E117/1500 see through caseback

4.) Correct E series movement with dagger swan neck (the earliest version with the word "panerai" stamped out instead of engraved. But believe me it still looks good)

5.) Cannon pin fixed

If I remember correctly. He got it at USD350 shipped.

Check it out while still available as the E sries movement are really geeting rare these days.

2 cents :)

• 3 weeks later...
hello,

there are 3 different dials for the genuine fiddy. on one the font is white, on one it is a little bit yellowish and the third one is a little bit greyish... so you can choose which one you will build... ;-)

I'm not doubting you in the slightest, but I'd love to see a pic of the "third" fiddy dial. I've held in my hand 2 different gen fiddy dials (mine and another RWGers) and have looked at hundreds of pics of gen fiddy dials. Every gen pic I've seen matches one or the other of those dials. I've never been able to find the Gray version---I believe I have seen one with different R's. Either that's the third gen version or a rep variant I'm not aware of.

I have always wondered about the third version as well. I do know that the first generation uses a slightly different font which is much closer to the original Pre-V lettering. Here is a good example as well as shots of the original Eddie Lee (looking closer to version 2) and the newer Davidsen as well.

Gen 1st generation:

IMGP1886.jpg

Same gen and 2nd Davidsen grey version:

IMGP1879.jpg

IMGP1847.jpg

It's all in the "6"'s and the "12"'s

And finally - gen, Davidsen and original EL dial (wharped of course by crystal distortion):

IMGP1872.jpg

I bought this fiddy from Angus a while back. The movement is not the same as pictured on his site. The engraving is really bad, and it looks to be A LOT thicker than the earlier E series movements. I had one of his ultimate 111E watches that I compared the movement with and as you can see, the quality of the engraving is horrible in comparison. However you take what you can get, but I would have rather just bought a noob fiddy from ioffer for $120 instead of this crappy movement. I did get the sapphire upgrade, which I heard is a must on the fiddy. I also got the cannon pin and the lume upgrade, but it appears that the lume wasn't really upgraded since the fiddy has decent lume to begin with and the cannon pin wasn't actually modded; the hands were just filed down.

FACE.jpg

CG.jpg

Movement.jpg

Crown.jpg

Buckle.jpg

Wrist.jpg

LUME.jpg

And the comparison shots:

Notice the the crappy pattern on the "New" movement

wholeNEW.jpg

wholeOLD.jpg

Closeup detail of the pattern text

CloseNEW.jpg

CloseOLD.jpg

Excellent quality control

RegulatorNEW.jpg

RegulatorOLD.jpg

I ended up sending the watch back because of the swan neck screw thread issue. The screw was backing out and would have fallen into the balance wheel if I didn't notice it backing out.

I also got a fiddy from Angus recently and can agree with all of Milesd's points here. I would strongly recommend against getting the Lume and Cannon pin upgrades as they are not worth it. The lume is horrible. I think that this is the best you can get right now unless you buy from another forum member.