When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A View Of The El 187 Crystal

watcher

Today I stripped down my 187 from EL in order to try and successfully ARcoat the crystal. It is very thick as you can imagine and has a foil circle fitted on the back . I have found an optical coating company here in the U.K. that can do this but only on the surface rather than the inside of the crystal. They apply a standard spectacle AR then a hydrophobic and oleophobic top coat. What ever that means.

I will let you all know if it is a success. It is not very expensive and I will ask if they can coat both sides.

Here's a couple of pics of the crystal.

84769-29617.jpg

84769-29618.jpg

They have quoted roughly 30pounds to coat on one side and I will update when done.

Sounds like a very fair quote! I'm interested if it works out. I'm thinking about stopping by a eyeglasses place on my way to work tomorrow just to inquire!

Keep us updated and please post more pics!

Jon :victory:

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff

My crystal is not going too well. The optical guy says the crystal has a haze finish on the inside surface and needs to be polished to get a perfect ARcoating on both sides.

@titoune11299

Have you had yours coated on both sides?

I have never heard that the gen is coated on the outside as well. Don't you run the risk that the coating would be scratched when the sapphire crystal wouldn't - unless the new technology for coatings make the scratch resistance as good as sapphire.

GOOD POINT KRUZER

BUT I SUPET THIS IS A MINERAL GLASS AND NOT SAPHIRRE

BUT I AM NOT 100% SURE

THE DENSITY OF THIS GLASS IS NOT LIKE THE SAPHIRRE

MY 2 CENTS

ERIC B)

I SEE THIS ON THE NET I KNOW IS NOT THE SAME QUALITY AS PANERAI BUT THIS WATCH IS OEM AND SAPHIRRE GLASS WITH BOTH SIDE AR COATING....

SO I IMAGINE EVERYTHING IS OK WITH THE COATING IF A COMPANY DO THAT....?????

http://www.timezone.com/library/tlines/tli...686800946182258

THE WATCH IS A FORTIS COSMONAULT DAY-DATE

I can't say I have ever noticed outside ar coating on gens but then again I don't have one in front of me so I can't say. i have seen other watches with outside coating and they did scratch and you end up witha rainbow effect. So I assumed it related to two different coats on the inside. But then again the technology may have improved. The crystal on Ken's original version of the 187 (IMHO) has world class anti-relective properties. As good as gens I have had. His description says that it is double coated on the inside.

THe company doing my crystal say that the finish is tested in military applications without damage and is resistant to oil also. If you go to the Carl Zeiss webpage it states that the protected finish hardens the crystal so maybe technology has moved on in recent times.

@ watcher

This is good news......in former times the AR coating technology was ok, I had an old Breitling Chronomat with inside and outside AR coat.....the outside looked terrible due to very tiny scratches (I had the coating removed then)......nowadays you can get it inside/outside with 100% satisfaction, it is extremly hard to scratch the outside coating that is applied (even harder to scratch cause the bezel of the 187 saves the sides of the crystal.....you will first hurt the bezel and loose some markers before you harm the coating)!

The only thing I am VERY interested in is......have you had wacthsmith skills to remove bezel and crytal from your watch.....how easy/hard is it to to on yourself??? Will you need to have a pressing-machine to get the crystal fixed again????

How about a little tutorium???!!!

Thanks for posting and beeing the FIRST to take the plunge,....wish you the best and looking forward to more pic´s when finished.

Theo

THe crystal on most watches comes out simply with a firm knock of pressure from the inside after stripping out the movement. The bezel did not have to be removed on the 187. I have now built the watch back up so all I have to do is make sure the dial is clear of dust etc and clean the inside of the crystal before presenting it to the case where the retaining ring is still in position. I will then apply pressure with a clamp I have to press the crystal back in position and it should be done.

My crystal will be back before the weekend hopefully and I will post pics as soon as possible. It will be coated as said on both sides. :victory: