When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss or Asia ?

avent1974

Hello Guys,

Need some professional opinion!

I would say all the dealers have offered diferrent movement for most of the watches, like Asia/Swiss ETA, Aisa/Swiss Unitas 6497, etc.

Generally, the Swiss movement will cost about 100 to 120 USD extra.

I just wonder what is the performance of the Asia Movement compare with Swiss Movement, does anyone has any bad experience with Asia Movement? It is worth to invest another 100++USD for it?????????

Lots of people have great luck with the Asain movements. They are usually very reliable and robust. They do lack a little refinement, as the Swiss movements tend to have a smoother sweep and feel a little nicer while winding, some are quiter. If you get a good movement from the start (Asian or Swiss) it should be plenty accurate and last quite a while. It really comes down to prefrence at this point- but a lot of purists love their ETA's. With the quality being the same in a lot of reps now it's really a tough call and comes down to personal choice.

go for the Swiss movement if the extra money won't break the bank. Yes, Asian ETA's are good clones but I doubt their assembly standards can come close to Swiss - I mean their built in wet underground sweatshop by China's youth :o - besides the inferior parts themselves, there is the point of quality control and how well the movement was lubricated and assembled. Some will tell you to get your movement serviced out of the box but I can't see the point if you get yourself a new Swiss movement fresh from the pack - it already has been assembled and oiled according to Swiss standards and quality control. Although it was put in your watch in less than desirable conditions, I still feel it will last longer out of the box over an Asian movement - all of them will have to get serviced sooner or later but I'm betting that generally the Swiss movement will keep time longer.

So you order a swiss based watch.. the problem? Many factories will throw in used, refurbished and mixed parts in place of new genuine Swiss movements - I have experience with this first hand.

I would suggest using a dealer that has his watchmaker open the watch to confirm the movement and while he's in there, grease the seals and do a general quality control check on the watch - you'll pay more $ but for many it's worth it. I am referring to the likes of the 2824 or 2836 but movements such as the 7750 may not be worth the extra $300-400+. An Asian 7750 movement itself can be had for about $130US whereas the Swiss Valjoux 7750 is about $400-600 depending on availability and from whom you order it from.

the 21J class of movements (which are oddly not always 21 jewel movements) are interesting - they cover a range of non-complicated movements and are very cheap. If one fails, you would never take it in for service - a new DG2813 for example, can be had for about $10 - you could just swap it out - same as the faster DG4813 - I don't know a great deal about swapping movements but I'd like to get around to doing this myself. I'll need one of my 21J's to break 1st ;)

there is still an open debate on the differences between an Asian 2824-2 and a Swiss one... apparently it's difficult for even a watchmaker to tell without detailed examination - just my 2c

Hi Avent1974

I'm not a pro but my PAM111H with the new Asian dagger swan neck UNITAS 6497 movement was working just fine, very reliable and never lost a second.

But I only had the poor thing for two months (then I sent it for AR to Jakub ... @#$%^&!!!)

Now I'm ordering a new one again with Asian movt.

I personally believe that all movts are Asian - but this is my personal opinion.

Athan

Hi Avent1974

I'm not a pro but my PAM111H with the new Asian dagger swan neck UNITAS 6497 movement was working just fine, very reliable and never lost a second.

But I only had the poor thing for two months (then I sent it for AR to Jakub ... @#$%^&!!!)

Now I'm ordering a new one again with Asian movt.

I personally believe that all movts are Asian - but this is my personal opinion.

Athan

I can assure you there are real Swiss movements available - even if built for ETA in China ;)

I look at it this way: Both movements tell the time. Period. Watches with Asian movements are easier on the bank-ballance. Period.

B)

Personally, I can't see the point in spending extra for the Swiss options, as long-term reliability is a bit of a red herring, as all mechanical watches require servicing at regular intervals anyway. If it's not cost-effective to repair an Asian movement, given how cheap they are, it's still cost effective to totally replace one. And only then if it's a watch you really like, or has sentimental value. If it's 'just a watch', it's probably more cost effective to just buy a new one and run it into the ground in another five years ;) The only problems I've had with Asian movements, have been caused by my own negligence, not reliability issues.

The swiss movements are great, but if you have a display back, such as the very popular 111h, there is no "full swiss" option. No swiss 6497 available on the open market today has a swan neck, much less the engraved bridges that are available on the Asian version. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know where I can get one!!

So, if you are building a PAM clone and want a movement that resembles the gen, you have to go Asian...Or at the very least, a swiss/asian hybrid.

That being said, I have a half dozen Asian swannies and haven't had a problem with any.

About the 6497, the need for a Swiss movement is like the need for an AAA+ grade replica.

Leave it out, pick a good Asian, and live happy.