When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep was addressed to my forum name, not my real one

William Campbell

I found out today that I missed the delivery of my new rep. This is my first purchase. Unfortunately, the package was addressed to William Campbell, my forum name, not my real name. The person who would have signed for the package didn't know who William Campbell was and refused it. It was shipped EMS, and I assume the USPS tried to make the delivery. How do I get my watch? How do I prove I am the one who the package was sent to? I can't tell them that it is my forum name on a rep forum. I am worried that it will be sent back to China. What do I do? I have contacted seller, but have not heard from him yet.

Thanks

You should let it go back to China. If you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone you might persuade the PO to give it to you. Otherwise if you tell them you're William Campbell at the PO they're going to ask for ID.

On second thought, perhaps you can call them and ask them to attempt delivery again, that the "front desk" didn't know you were in, something like that.

You are allowed to sign for someone provided you can prove that you live at the address listed. So I assume if you take your driver license to the post office and say you will sign for your room mate/boyfriend will whose on vacation it should be OK.

This is speaking from a very loose knowledge of the Canadian system, things may be different over where you're at.

I pick up packages at the local post office sometimes and they never ask for ID.

If you have the tracking they will believe you.

Similar story I just had with a happy ending.

Ordered from a dealer they shipped to my name in my town with no street address.

So it was addressed for example:

John Smith

Anytown, USA 00001

amazingly the dealer put my tel# on the package, I didn't even think I gave him this but must have entered the order online. Anytown's post office called me and told me I had a package from China there.

Was a little nervous based on the message, but I showed up and they gave me the package unopened so questions asked. Stupid dealer mistake, happy ending.

Cheers,

M

In my experience, the postal worker will leave an "attempted delivery" slip in my mailbox. It says that a second attempt will be made the following day or that I may present the "slip" at the post office after a certain hour for pickup. On the occasions that I have picked up the package by presenting the slip to the postal clerk, I have never been asked for an ID.

I agree with most of the previous posters, but I also know that the USPS can always be trusted not to follow their own rules when you most want them to.

To be safe, in addition to rescheduling delivery via usps.com, I would phone your local post office (ask to speak with a supervisor) & tell them what happened. Then see if they will allow you to come to the post office to pick up your package (unless the PO is a long distance away, I would not rely on them to redeliver if you are able to make the trip yourself - if you leave it to them, your next post here may be something like 'They sent the package back to China because so-and-so forgot to tell so-and-so to hold it for you').