When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer II Dial problems

geestyleed

Hi guys!

I was wearing the whole weekend my white beauty, when I saw that the dial is agley.

Where the date is the dial is "normal" but at the "9" the dial is too deep, so - damn too difficult to describe - here a small draft.

agleydiall7s.jpg

The hands are working 100% normal. When I look directly on the dial you dont see it that the dial is agley.

What can I do there. I have never worked on a watch and normally I have two left hands concerning technics.

Heeeeelp ;)

Edited by geestyleed

Maybe a subjective impression? I'm not an expert by all means, but I think that it's impossible. The dial is fixed (glued?) to the movement, and the movement should be forced in the correct position (with regard to a 3-9 axis) by the stem. It could only pivot on that axis (the stem). On the other hand, the hands are directly connected to the movement; if the dial was unglued, the hands would scrape the dial. The experts will correct me if I am wrong.

Most likely, 1 (or both) of the 2 tabs/screws that secure the movement in the case is loose or missing, so there is nothing holding the movement in place. This is not a good thing! However, as long as nothing has been damaged (yet), this is a very simple fix for ANY watchmaker.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you not wear the watch. Instead, place the watch - dial facing UP - on a table & leave it that way until you can get it to a watchmaker to have the movement secured in place. If you keep wearing it, you are going to damage it.

DamN! And there is no good watchmaker in my area.....

:bye2:

This is 1 of the few repairs that you can probably do yourself if you are careful & able to remove the caseback.

Alot of rep watches do not have their casebacks properly secured, so you may be able to unscrew it with a handful of masking tap (wadded-up with the sticky side facing out). Press the ball of masking tape against the caseback & unscrew. If you are unable to remove the caseback, you will need to find a watchmaker. Open your phonebook & find a watchmaker.

If you are able to remove the caseback, you should see something like this (note the screw & small metal tab at 8, with a 2nd pair at 2 (under the rotor - the half-moon shaped thing that says 'Tudor Auto Prince' on it is the rotor))

7016-eta2483.jpg

My guess is that 1 or both of the screws and/or tabs are loose or missing. If they are loose, simply find a screwdriver that fits the screw & snug them up (do not force them tight!). If either screw/tab is missing, they may have dropped into the movement (a very bad thing) or, if the dial has always been slanted like it is now, then they may never have been installed in the 1st place. In either case (if you cannot find the 2 screws & the 2 tabs), you will need to take the watch to a watchmaker to have it checked out.