When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16520 Franken Update...

Guest Sql_pl

So after handing it to one of the best watchsmiths in Poland (Alain Silberstein, Ulysse Nardin etc etc etc AD watschsmith) like 2 weeks ago I was impatiently awaiting info about when I can pick my assembled beauty up.

I just had a phone call from them.

"Absolutely NO-GO. Movement DOES NOT fit the case at al. Tried 2 times. No chance."

My jaw dropped. I told them I know like 5 watches like this that have been completed from virtually identical parts.

Their reply was that their watchsmith works with watches like Patek Philippe or Ulysse Nardin so he knows what he says.

All I can do is pick it up from them as assmebled as it was 2 weeks ago.

Damn. Even though it was my dream watch for God knows how long I am tired. Tired with all this.

I will pick it up and throw it into my drawer and think about what to do next.

I am also considering getting rid of it.

Sorry, had to vent.

Brutal. I know how long it takes to assemble all these parts...and finding somebody who can work on them is something to come across a stumbling block like this?? Is this an El Primero driven Daytona project???

Good luck...I"m sure there will be some good advice coming from some of the more learned members.

Assuming you have the right parts (and I am sure you do) I would guess the AD watchsmith has little interest in your franken project. Also AD watchsmiths are often the wrong person. They can only handle movements and putting together perfectly fit parts. There is a reason why Ziggy and the very few other qualified folks have a long line. And although Ziggy is away for the next couple of weeks you have the benefit of Ubi who as you know has not done one but two. Finally, I would say that my average Franken takes 2 years and several trips to the watchsmith. I know you know all this and are just venting. :) BUt I would be very nice to Ubi. ;)

Usually these things go together pretty easy... I've never had any major issues or problems, and aside from my pair, I've done a few others as well :)

I do recall that ZZ had some trouble with stem alignment on one that he did for one of customers; I'm thinking that there might be another case out there that isn't machined to tolerance. It could also be an issue with having the date mech in place (these parts need to come off). Having that 'clutter' (heh heh ;) ) on the dial side will cause the stem to sit too far towards the caseback.

IMG_4480.jpg

I am sure Ubi is right - he knows these frankens better than anyone.

First, see if they can be explicit as to what, exactly, the problem is. Based on my experience with DWs, you can make just about anything fit (where there's a will, there's a way).

Most likely, as Ubi suggested, they probably did not think to remove the extraneous components (which are needed for the original watch & factored into the inner-dimensions of its case, but not the Daytona or its case). Also, the 1 aftermarket 16520 case I worked on needed a wee bit of grinding around the circumference of the case opening to fit the movement all the way in (I am talking just a fraction of a mm here - I probably could have forced the movement in, but I did not want to damage it since it was not mine). I agree with kruzer that alot of watchmakers do not like to think (or work) outside the box, so to speak. Younger watchmakers, especially, tend to be more like watch parts changers than watch makers, if you know what I mean.

1 other thing is worth keeping in mind - These are not straight forward assembly kits made by big multi-nationals with QC departments that inspect every part for universal assembly-line fitness. Instead, they are often poorly constructed by a variety of unskilled laborers to a price point. Most of the time, things go together easily (more or less). But, sometimes, they require a bit of 'nudging'. Think Windows instead of Unix/Mac - operations do not always go as planned, but if you are creative & willing to spend enough time, you can eventually get it to do what it was supposed to do in the 1st place. ;)

hey M,

cool down, all you need is patience. (A lot of patience).

I managed to assemble all parts by myself. (only had the movement serviced by a watchmaker)

You can visit me (bavaria) if you like and we solve the problem together.

Good stuff, M. Wish I was a little closer to lend a hand; I'd be more than happy to have Maciek ship the watch to me, but I dread the customs risk on a piece like this.

@Freddy

The case I am using is genuine - not one of these kits. So it should work.

Maybe you are all right that they did not want to bother getting rid of the date stuff and that's why it did not fit?

I will ask them when I pick it up but I need to go 120 miles one way to get it.

@kelster, marsupilami and ubiquitous

Thanks a lot for your help offers, I will contact you all today.

The case I am using is genuine - not one of these kits. So it should work.

Maybe you are all right that they did not want to bother getting rid of the date stuff and that's why it did not fit?

Assuming the case is gen (alot of rep cases are sold by reliable sellers as gens), that has to be the problem.