When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Basic Tools

After purchasing a ridiculous amount of reps this year (12 were purchased for my own collection while about 60 others were purchased - through me - for other folks), I am willing to finally get down to modding one of my own watches. I've chosen the 4th Gen Omega SMP I got from Joshua some time back. Next to my Rolex Yachtmaster (rep) and my Rolex Explorer II (gen), it is the most accurate automatic watch I own. [As an aside, the Rolex Yachtmaster rep has been in a winder with my gen Explorer II and has been within one second of the Explorer II for over a week now!]

The mods I want to do are replacing of the bezel to a OEM bezel. Replacement of the clasp and replacement of the hour, minute and second hands.

So, the question is: What basic tools are required for purchase before I attempt this? Now we are talking about a beginner here, so I'm not interested in the Rolls Royce of the tools. Thanks.

Have seen plenty of dirt cheap (ie £10-£20) watch tool kits on Ebay ..... anybody got one of these sets ...... are they worth getting ??

Some of the items in these kits have some use. The bracelet pin pusher works well enough ( although there are better available) but the case back tool, and the screwdrivers are crap.

So you won't get a lot of useful stuff out of the kit. having said that- its not a lot of $$ to get some basic tools, but you will get frustrated pretty quickly. You are better to spend a few more $$ and buy quality stuff seperately. If you plan on doing a course, ( like TZ) you have to buy their kit anyway, as part of the course.

Another good source for some cheaper, ( but better quality stuff) is PMWF ( see our links- Forums)

Offshore