When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with putting movement in new case

gplracer

Not a rolex guy so I wont pretend to know what the inside of the two cases look like, but regardless,, it will always help if you can supply a picture so it is better understood what is striking what..

I'm sure you will find a way through some help here to get it in there.. :)

Ok i got the clamps in. I was putting them in under a lower lip. The issue now is that there is play in the case (movement is not snug) and the crown will not go in far enough to screw in. The crown does appear to work when pulled out to set the time and date. See the foot (anchor) that is by the large gear? I cannot tighten that screw enough to make it tight. I pulled the stem out for now because I do not want that foot to interfere with the gear. I can pul the crown and watch the movement move. There must be something that I am not doing correctly.

post-12645-1224132911_thumb.jpg

Edited by gplracer

I have been thinking about this. (I am new to this) I used the old brackets from the noob case and the old stem. Is it possible that the brackets are too short and the stem is too long? I have included a pic with the stem pulled out. If so should a watchmaker carry those brackets? What about the stem? Should I take it out again and cut it shorter on the thread side? If so what is the best way to cut it?

post-12645-1224172928_thumb.jpg

Edited by gplracer

Maybe you could just screw the crown down on the stem more to shorten it. If that doesn't work, you have to cut the stem, but you have to be careful not to booger up the threads. Might be something for a watchmaker to help you with.

You got a Euromariner case, is it just the case, or did it come w/ a spacer ring for positioning the movement? If the noob ring and movment are still moving after you've tightened the case clamps, maybe the noob ring is too small for the Euro case. The 2836 and DG2813 are basically the same size, but it wouldn't surprise me that the spacer rings are different. Once again, a watchmaker probably could help you out. Mine came up with spacer rings when I built my two Frankenjusts. Or you have to get Chris to send you a spacer ring. That would be a PITA for one measly spacer ring! Might as well order a whole watch and have him throw in an extra spacer ring!

Doesn't look right.

The case clamps don't look as though they're secured under the lip, and are just sitting gainst the top of the lip.

Most case clamps have a slight bend to them, which allow them to either angle into the case lip, or to apply additional pressure down to add extra leverage. Also... The movement spacer/ring should have some notches cut out to facilitate those case clamps...

I have thought about this all day. First, I think the stem is too long. Second the tabs are from the bkmariner case and they just do not work in the Euromariner case. The lip is different. At this point it might be best to send it to Rex and let him put in proper tabs and a shorter stem. Do you think my assessment is correct? The tabs are totally straight with no bend at all.

Now that I look at it again, I think your case clamps have to go under that inner silver lip. The gold spacer ring has to be tight against the dial- sometimes it's a tight fit and take s a little coaxing to get it all the way in. But heck, if Rex is going to work on your crown/stem issue, I'd just let him do the whole thing. However, since your case clamps fit the ETA movement, they should be fine for securing the movement to the case, I would think.

In a few weeks I'm going to be trying the same move- putting an ETA from a noob in the Euro V3.