When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about Planet Oceans...gen vs rep

bosk

Are the gen PO's the same thickness as the reps? I'm debating if I should get another PO rep...maybe the UPO...or save up for a gen.

In the case of the SMPs, the gen is thinner and thus sits differently on the wrist. The rep SMPs never hug the wrist as well as the gen....and this is true of almost all SMP rep versions....closed factory, closed factory with correct He, and Kings version.

TIA

bosk

I'm pretty sure the case thickness is accurate on both the 42MM and 45.5MM reps. Certainly the 45.5MM version is if not the smaller. If you like the larger size, I owuld just get it and do a re-lume and double AR the crystal. You will have only $600 or so into an ETA watch (make sure to get a real ETA if you can) which will be close enough to the gen for most people. But even if you do some additional gen parts as much as possible you will still hover around a grand which will be considerably less than the gen of course.

In my case I had to have the 42MM so the gen was the only choice as I couldn't live with certain flaws on the smaller version rep. But I do that a lot as it is. I get a rep and I fall in love with it enough so that only the gen will do. Then I sell the rep and get the gen. That was how I came upon the Planet Ocean as well...

Are the gen PO's the same thickness as the reps? I'm debating if I should get another PO rep...maybe the UPO...or save up for a gen.

In the case of the SMPs, the gen is thinner and thus sits differently on the wrist. The rep SMPs never hug the wrist as well as the gen....and this is true of almost all SMP rep versions....closed factory, closed factory with correct He, and Kings version.

TIA

bosk

Robbie, I think the UPO lume is adequate out of the box. I have one stock and one wit The Zigmeister lume and the difference is not that great. The Zig one is better, but not by much. BTW, the one that was relumed was a Silix version which has crap lume, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Thanks I didn't know that. The first UPO version that I had didn't have that great of lume. Glad they upgraded it.

Robbie, I think the UPO lume is adequate out of the box. I have one stock and one wit The Zigmeister lume and the difference is not that great. The Zig one is better, but not by much. BTW, the one that was relumed was a Silix version which has crap lume, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Many thanks guys.

I'll probably get a UPO then and upgrade my 42 PO rep with a gen dial (already has gen hands, chief AR, and a relume). IMO, reluming helps the rep look better sometimes, but it can never compare with a gen dial (especially when looking thru a loupe). Omega reps are great in that gen dials are not so hard to obtain and are a perfect fit in most cases.

I have had a number of SMP reps and I fully agree that the gen just feels better than the best rep,mainly because of its profile on the wrist. That's why I have a black gen SMP. However I have a UPO and it wears similar to the gen except there is something about the shape of the SELs which slightly alters the feel on the wrist. IMO the PO is not nearly as nice a watch as the SMP and I certainly wouldn't be tempted to get a gen. The UPO, like the SOSF, is one of those reps that is perfectly good 'out-of-the-box' and doesn't justify chucking money at it.

I have had a number of SMP reps and I fully agree that the gen just feels better than the best rep,mainly because of its profile on the wrist. That's why I have a black gen SMP. However I have a UPO and it wears similar to the gen except there is something about the shape of the SELs which slightly alters the feel on the wrist. IMO the PO is not nearly as nice a watch as the SMP and I certainly wouldn't be tempted to get a gen. The UPO, like the SOSF, is one of those reps that is perfectly good 'out-of-the-box' and doesn't justify chucking money at it.

Well said! I have a gen SMP.. But I'm also saving up to get the gen SMP Co-Axial.. Just not into getting a gen PO although I am getting a rep PO but that's that.. A gen SMP most definitely! Plus, for some reason, I went to my local Omega boutique and was told that the gen SMP is also slightly cheaper than the gen PO... Not sure why as both have the same Co-Axial movement..