When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Swiss movement w/ GMT hand that jumps in hour increments

Martyd3

I don't mind the IHS, but I am tired of the GMT hand lagging behind the hour hand. My watch is supposed to have the Swiss movement. What ETA movement with the GMT that jumps in hour increments (like on an gen Seamaster GMT), will fit this case and hand set?

Thanks.

Marty

The function of gen GMT Master II seems to be something that people simply don't "get". Once again: on genuine Rolex GMT Master II, the GMT hand never jumps. In the position 2 the hour hand jumps in both ways (clockwise and anti clockwise), while the GMT hand stays immobile.

Both GMT hand and hour+minute hands move smoothly in the hack position (pos 3). That's the normal time setting position.

Changing to 2893-2 won't solve any of these problems. It's still a "wrong" hand stack, unless you change the order of the hands (12h hand and 24h hand). This for the Rolex.

The "wrong" hand stack is correct for the Omega though.

On the vintage Rolex GMT, 1675 and 16750 nor the hour hand or GMT hand are independently adjustable. The GMT function can only be used from the 24h rotating bezel. Technically that movement is even simpler than the ETA WHS.

I've never owned a 2893-2. Does the GMT hand really jump on that movement... and not the hour hand? Weird, I think the Rolex way is much more logical when you're travelling through different timezones.

Personally, I don't care about the hand stack at all... especially if you have to sacrifice the reliability that way.

The function of gen GMT Master II seems to be something that people simply don't "get". Once again: on genuine Rolex GMT Master II, the GMT hand never jumps. In the position 2 the hour hand jumps in both ways (clockwise and anti clockwise), while the GMT hand stays immobile.

Both GMT hand and hour+minute hands move smoothly in the hack position (pos 3). That's the normal time setting position.

Changing to 2893-2 won't solve any of these problems. It's still a "wrong" hand stack, unless you change the order of the hands (12h hand and 24h hand). This for the Rolex.

The "wrong" hand stack is correct for the Omega though.

On the vintage Rolex GMT, 1675 and 16750 nor the hour hand or GMT hand are independently adjustable. The GMT function can only be used from the 24h rotating bezel. Technically that movement is even simpler than the ETA WHS.

I've never owned a 2893-2. Does the GMT hand really jump on that movement... and not the hour hand? Weird, I think the Rolex way is much more logical when you're travelling through different timezones.

Personally, I don't care about the hand stack at all... especially if you have to sacrifice the reliability that way.

I think you are right. The hour hand jumps, not the GMT hand. I owned the gen Omega, but it was a while ago. In any case, it is better than what I have now. Would the hands from my IHS Swiss GMT ceramic fit the 2893-2?

Thanks.

Marty