When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going on vacation (Dec) any cool ideas (Maui/Hawaii & Las Vegas US)

fulanito_uk

Hi,

Going on Holiday with my girl friend to Maui & Las vegas having a car at both places (we are in Europe) and was wondering seeing as you guys all seem to be seasoned travelers if you had any cool things to do there? we got a shot list of some things that we have planed.. perhaps you can add to them?

Maui (relaxing half of the vacation),

Hiking over the volcano

a half day fishing trip

a plane tour

some swimming

Las Vegas (more exciting),

Gran Canyon

what to visit a ghost town (no idea where to find one but i've heard their are a few in nevada)

sky diving

another plane tour

some but not too much roulette etc...

Drive to some national parks

any other ideas?

Thanks

I've wanted to get back to Maui for many years. When I did go, my favorite activity was the drive to and from the town of Hana. It's a very slow and winding road with lots of waterfall-fed ponds at the side of the road where you can take a quick dip in your own private paradise.

Consider staying overnight in Hana.

Near Vegas, if the weather is reasonably nice, take a boat trip on Lake Mead.

I lived in Hawaii in the 80's. It is always a good idea to go there. The most magical journey in nature you might ever have. Just amazing. Make sure to make a stop on Oahu and say hello to Lani though...

On Maui go up to the top of the crater and check out the Iao Needle. And yes, do go out to Hana for an overnight.

Vegas is my second favorite place to travel in the US. The biggest little city in America. If you love to eat like we do, the restaurants alone are a reason to go. Gambling is not even a reason to go there anymore as the city has so much more to offer now. It is like New York but more compact and the weather is better for more months of the year. If I didn't need to be on EST for trading reasons right now I would live full time in our new place at City Center when it is finished. No possesions besides a weeks worth of clothes and shoes and the watch collection is my ultimate goal. Room service and maid service for the rest if my life. Howard Hughes had the right idea.

So go out to eat a lot if in Vegas. I'm a beef guy so you might try some of my favorites: SW Steakhouse at Stevie Wynn's new joint. Emeril's Delmonico Steakhouse. And check out the Burger Bar at Mandalay Place for a Kobe burger. Sit at the bar and ask for Jamie.

And show wise check out Criss Angel's Believe which is the new Cirque production. Also check out Cirque's Mystere at Treasure Island. Blue Man Group at The Venetian is always fun too...

no clues on Hawaii (yet) but i've been in/around Vegas

wining/dining/clubbing is what most folk do in Vegas but do visit the malls/boutiques.

Can do a fair amount of shopping even with a relatively lower sterling

the Grand Canyon's south rim is nearly 6 hours away so ya might wanna stay overnight when ya get there

dining options are rather limited in the Canyon village though

and if you're a REALLY hardcore outdoor enthusiast ya can even trek all the way down and up from the south side

another option is to head 2/3 hours north into Utah and come down to the Canyon from the north side

its native American territory so the tarmac is as bad as a motocross track but they have the Skywalk which hangs over the canyon so it might appeal to you. Southern Utah is also home to Zion Canyon National park and hwy 9 that heads east off the I-15 goes through some of the most beautiful red rock you'll ever see including a 1.1 mile long tunnel cut through the mountain range.

Perhaps after Zion Canyon, you can do the complete loop & visit Lake Powell in northern AZ (home of the grand canyon) while you're there, come down from the east side, visit the south face of the Grand Canyon and be back in Vegas within 24-72 hours

Near Vegas, you'll be fairly close to Lake Mead so feel free to venture out for some recreational jet skiing/boating with the your lady love. You could also go to Hoover Dam but its just an old place and rather played out IMO

if something else comes to mind i'll post up later :)