When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingy movement

kingkaiser

Guys, I was wondering about this: the sweeping movement on my ingy seems to actually be 5 rapid ticks. Is this correct? Or should it be a ridiculously smooth sweep with no visible ticks (even if you're looking hard for it)?

From 3 feet away you cant tell, but anything less than that, you can actually see a slightly jerky movement...wanted to know if thats what the gen looks like too, or is it because the movement isnt up to snuff?

Cheers

The smoothness of the sweep is directly related to the speed of the balance wheel.

ETA's are mostly 28,800 Beats per Hour, or 8 ticks per second.

Most Asian movements are 21,600 BPH, or 6 ticks per second.

Handwinds are 21,600 or 18,000 (2.5 per second).

If it's running ok, and keeping good time, then the ticks are what they are, you can't smooth it out. If you can open the caseback you can identify the movement type and then you'll know for sure the speed.

What was it advertized as having for a movement?

RG

The smoothness of the sweep is directly related to the speed of the balance wheel.

ETA's are mostly 28,800 Beats per Hour, or 8 ticks per second.

Most Asian movements are 21,600 BPH, or 6 ticks per second.

Handwinds are 21,600 or 18,000 (2.5 per second).

If it's running ok, and keeping good time, then the ticks are what they are, you can't smooth it out. If you can open the caseback you can identify the movement type and then you'll know for sure the speed.

What was it advertized as having for a movement?

RG

The movement was advertised as having an ETA 2824-2

Its keeping incredible time; I dont have the right equipment to pop the caseback, but since it was from PT, I'm pretty sure it is as advertised. I'm assuming then that its actually 8 ticks per second...

The reason I asked this question is because I was looking at a Rolex which seemed to have no ticks at all (ie: perfectly smooth movement). Perhaps Rolex have more fluid movements than ETA (I think Rolex has inhouse movements - could be wrong), or perhaps it was just the poor lighting that made it seem that way...

The movement was advertised as having an ETA 2824-2

Its keeping incredible time; I dont have the right equipment to pop the caseback, but since it was from PT, I'm pretty sure it is as advertised. I'm assuming then that its actually 8 ticks per second...

The reason I asked this question is because I was looking at a Rolex which seemed to have no ticks at all (ie: perfectly smooth movement). Perhaps Rolex have more fluid movements than ETA (I think Rolex has inhouse movements - could be wrong), or perhaps it was just the poor lighting that made it seem that way...

The seconds hand in the Ingy are longer than that of most Rolexes. Longer hands will make the ticking more preceptible.

All so check the timing of your watch. You can do this by setting & comparing with your PC's clock.

See whether your watch is running slow over 3-5 day period.

Had UPO losing a min a day. After speeding it up to keep good time ... the sweep was smoother as it was ticking faster than before.

Thats right, there are some 36000 running chrono movements that would look very smooth too

Indeed, the El Primero would look pretty smooth... Girard Perregaux also made several 36000 beats movement and probably several other high end brands have one or two high beat movements as well.

• 2 weeks later...