When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy With A 6497 Running Over An Hour Fast

F.P. Journe

Hello Guys,

What would make a Fiddy with a 6497 run over an hour fast per wind :angry: ? I bought the watch used about a month ago from a board member. I've only worn it 4 times and on the last wind it would "click" every 4th or 5th turn. I then noticed later it was fast and from there it just took off :blink: I'm stuck with it cause the jewelers in the area won't touch a rep :thumbdown: . So much for Pam Fever

My experience with the Swiss hand wind 6497 movement is that they are quite delicate and not shock resistant at all. After a shock, the coil spring sometimes tangle up a little bit and the watch will suddenly run fast and gain 2 hours per day in my case.

This happens to me once in a while. My cure is very simple. Let the watch stop when the power reserve runs out. Tap the crystal and the caseback a few times with moderate force like what you would knock on your boss's office door. The coil spring will untangle and the watch will be back to normal.

This works for me all the time. Hope this helps.

maybe the fiddy was already defective like this when you receive it from the board member? although unbeknownst to what can cause it, if you send it in for service, it should take care of it. my asian fiddy was running over a minute slow, I sent it in for service and now it is very accurate. you should ask the seller again what was the condition when he had it. good luck

Hello Guys,

What would make a Fiddy with a 6497 run over an hour fast per wind :angry: ? I bought the watch used about a month ago from a board member. I've only worn it 4 times and on the last wind it would "click" every 4th or 5th turn. I then noticed later it was fast and from there it just took off :blink: I'm stuck with it cause the jewelers in the area won't touch a rep :thumbdown: . So much for Pam Fever

I had a simiolar problem with a Rose Gold PAM 231 that I bought brand new from a very good RWG dealer. It was actually gaining about 3 hours on a single wind. I was really mad, but at myself for not spending the extra $50 for the Swiss movement. I took it to a watch repair guy here in my city, who has very little experience with Asian movements and limited tools to remove a 45mm PAM's back. But once he opened the back of the case, he just did some tweeking on the movement for about 60 seconds. He told me to wear it and see if that worked. Well, it did and the watch has been keeping perfect time ever since.

I'm in the US Midwest, so if you want this guy's contact info, PM me and I'll give it to you. Good luck.

Thanks again guys for the emails, advice and replies! It was the hair spring, and I fixed it in 30 seconds. Runs perfect now :thumbsupsmileyanim: I appear on a lot of message boards for different topics/hobbies, and NONE have been as helpful or nice as the watch boards. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!! :D

Just to add to this thread I recently bought a Panerai 111h from a dealer on here. When i bought the watch it was running five minutes fast per hour.I did a search and read this thread I took Tutimas advice about knocking the back of the watch like knocking on a door, it didn't work the first two or three times but on the fouth attempt it sorted the problem out completely and the watch is now running perfectly.

Thanks for the advice Tutima, you have saved me a lot of hassle