When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

greetings from a complete noob!

kitersoze

greetings and salutations all!

as you can see this is my very first post and i'd like to first thank imranbecks for introducing me to this forum. it's been an eye-opening experience in the short time i've been looking around. i had no idea there was such a subculture of such depth and expanse, with so much technical expertise combined with an eagerness to be friendly.

like many others it seems, i just love watches (no expertise though, just an appreciation of their aesthetic and functional beauty) and have several gen's. i was looking for another purchase and stumbled upon this whole rep market. it seemed at first very interesting that i could possibly purchase many different styles for pure "wearing enjoyment" without having to be ludicrously indulgent or frivolous in spending gobs of money on things that really weren't crucial to living a happy life. that excitement turned, however, to disappointment and mistrust as i began to do due diligence on the purchase of these replicas. every company, every site, no matter how professional and corporate, eventually turned out to be a scam in consumer watchlists. every neutral review site and guide site, turned out to be a front of the same scam artists just trying to dupe more people. by the time i was done, i'd pretty much written the whole thing off as hopeless, there being no real way to determine a reputable rep seller from the scams. i knew i hadn't delved as far as i could go, but i was just too busy to really find my way on my own. my last ditch effort was to scan the vids, look for sellers, see if there were favorable customer reviews, contact those customers, hope they weren't "shell" reviewers, and possibly make a first leap of faith.

but after stumbling my way into this forum, my excitement has returned; i believe i will and can confidently make a purchase with one or several of the reputable sellers, and start enjoying this interest for what it should be about: the watches.

i look forward to asking a few questions, getting a bit more knowledge, making some more new friends, and buying my very first rep!

warmest regards,

kiter

p.s. HEY! I've got my first question (hopefully not too terribly foolish one)! from reading one of his movement reviews, The Zigmeister essentially says that asian 7750 movements are quite good technically (and reliability-wise, which is my primary concern), but just come from the manufacturers poorly serviced and often dirty. He recommends that you always get your rep serviced and cleaned. is that something the reputable sellers already do from the get-go in their own QC or is that something you have to request of them before sending you a watch you buy? if so, which sellers do this and do members recommend? is that even an option w/ sellers? or is that something you have to find someone locally to do once you get your new rep? thanks in advance to all.

Hi there, welcome i'm a noob exactly like yourself lol, dont own any gen watches really like the way they look but atm just cant afford the retail price on them lol. This site is really informative on reps and some people have extremely good knowledge which is really impressive. Hopefully too ill be able to get some nice watches from reputable people for good prices! :)

Welcome aboard dude!!! I'm glad I've recommended you to this forum as well as to this addictive hobby of watch collecting!!! :)

PS: About your question, I'm not too sure. Perhaps you can open up a new topic in the General Discussion section..http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=3

Edited by imranbecks

Welcome to RWG!

Regarding your 7750 question:

No, the watches don't come serviced, but I haven't had any problems with my Asian 7750's, even though I haven't serviced any of them. They have been running flawlessly for years.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. You can also replace the movement if some kind of trouble occurs.

Happy hunting!

Welcome to RWG. I'm sure it will provide years of enjoyment to you as it has for many of us. Feel free to post questions such as your in the appropriate forum and you will get answers you need which are both timely and accurate for the most part. We tend to know our watches collectively here. It is virtually guaranteed that someone here will know the answer to any watch mystery - rep or gen.

The A7750's as we call them are really fine movements and you can take anything Rob (The Zigmeister) says as gospel when it comes to replica movements. I would advise just buying any watch with that movement with confidence as long as the rest of the watch is deemed to be good in other respects. They are dirty out of the gate sometimes, but sometimes not. They do have noisy rotors though, as do genuine 7750's, although these are much worse IMO. If that bothers you there are some easy fixes to help that. As far as cleaning and service I would advise just hoping it holds up out of the box. If you should happen to really love the rep you buy and intend to mod it or otherwise keep it for some time, you can always have it serviced later if it breaks down. I would advise finding a local watchmaker who is rep freindly who can do things like that for you. Basically speaking, if a watchmaker can service an ETA 7750 he can do one of these too. Keep in mind that if it needs parts you are out of luck unless you can establigh a relationship with a dealer who can either sell (or give as some do for good customers) the parts you need or sell you a complete movement for cheap so you can rob parts from it.

Good luck and God Speed as they say and again, welcome to RWG.