When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do YOU use your cape cod cloths?

DemonSlayer

Just bought a bundle of these off the bay. I haven't opened any yet to try them out but I noticed these are remarkable similar to the Brasso and Silvo wadding polish (Duraglit) basically cotton impregnated with the polish. With these I tear a bit off and then polish with the small piece.

Are the cape cod cloths to be used in a similar way? If not, won't a lot of polish end up on your hands by just simply handling them?

Thanks guys, I did wonder if they do indeed have to be torn off into pieces before using, it now seems people do use them this way to polish their watch.

I do agree with you Freddy, I still need to get my hands on a dremel, theres a few jobs that need doing and the dremel would be perfectly suited for them.

Now I mentioned it, I do find that using either the Brasso or Silvo or any aluminium and mag polish such as Mothers, there are very fine swirls left on the shiny finish. I at first believed this was due to the abrasiveness of the Brasso, but I found the same thing happening with the Mothers polish.

I think to get a really high level mirror finish, you need high RPM and the dremel would do that.

I actually just get a little of the product on the area to be polished and use another soft cloth to work it and "polish" the area.. be sure not to get any on AR coating.. it will strip it

another important issue .. wear gloves (the thin latex) some are really prone to rashes from the petrolium by products and the "mineral spirits" that is added to the cloth.. it is highly corrosive to skin.. there were a number of members including myself that contracted a nasty rash.. it's best to rinse the area after completion with warm water and a bit of soap.. to remove the chemical .. especially on the case back.. talking from experience.. ;)

Cape cod cloths are great for polished steel and minor scratches. They really give a good shine. Don't use them on brushed steel, or the crystal. When I rebrushed my Rollie Deepsea bracelet, I lightly used the Cape Cod to bring back a nice shine. Very effective.

cape cod is perfect for polishing a small area. It's not good enough for a larger surface which requires a dremel and rouge. The combo can really do a factory grade polish/high shine which cape cod cannot do (there's still a haze if you look close). For a small area, cape cod does have the advantage of not being so messy. Dremel and rouge is dusty and you get dust on every thing including your hair, your face, etc. My dear friend who's an expert at this sticks the whole works in a large clear plastic bag when he uses the dremel to keep the dust inside the plastic bag as much as possible. I just make him do my watches for me.

-bk

What about Cape Cod on black PVD coated watches?

I hear guys do this to tone down the black a notch.

Let's say like on the Skyland PVD to make it look more like the black steel color?

never heard of this before.. as the petrolium by products usually leaves a film on surfaces other than polished steel or chromium ..

the cape code is more for "finishing" or removing 'feather" scratches (deeper scratches needs a buffing wheel, with compund rouge then lighter red rouge and then polishing fine red rouge or the cape cod for removing the "swirls" that can be seen in sunlight) .. it would be hard to remove the film (from the cape cod, on pvd) once it turns "whitish".. the only thing you could use is what is sold at the auto body shops to remove petrolium films from metal surfaces before spraying ..

PVD will imitate the surface below it.. ie. shinny or matte the pvd is a coat that takes on the metal as it is finished..not the opposite..

I highly doubt the cape cod pvd statement.. but I would be willing to try it on a pvd piece .. I'll let you know.. since that project didnt turn out for me..