When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about Swiss Eta 2836-2

Cedars1974

Hi guys

I have bought a few reps from Josh and have been pretty happy with them. The one thing I notice about them (and the easiest giveaway) is you can really hear the rotor spin. I don't care too much and I have not bought any Swiss ETA till now. I just ordered a Rolex Airking from Josh that has the Swiss Eta 2836-2. Can anybody enlighten me if this one will be noisy as well? Any comments on the quality and durability of this movement? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Without actually hearing the movement for myself, I cannot tell you whether your existing (or upcoming) rotors are abnormally noisy. However, the movements in rep watches are unserviced & generally require cleaning & lubrication (servicing) the day you receive them. So it is very likely that your rotor is making more noise than it should simply because the watch is in need of general servicing. Check with Ziggy or a rep-friendly local watchmaker (check your phone book).

The A21J you most proberly have in your current reps can have noise issues. Wear it enough and the appear to go away eventualy in most cases. If it's a real ETA in your new one it should be close to silent. Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the "Swiss ETA" MVT when it arrives either.

Col.

Hi guys

I have bought a few reps from Josh and have been pretty happy with them. The one thing I notice about them (and the easiest giveaway) is you can really hear the rotor spin. I don't care too much and I have not bought any Swiss ETA till now. I just ordered a Rolex Airking from Josh that has the Swiss Eta 2836-2. Can anybody enlighten me if this one will be noisy as well? Any comments on the quality and durability of this movement? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I had the same issue with a watch from Andrew. I sent it back. A real Swiss ETA is silent. I could hear my watch winding before I even removed it from the packaging! Check your hack function too. Chances are it does not work properly.

Not correct I am sorry. The only silent movements are most Rolex movements. The reason is the rotor assembly being jewelled. There is a simple rotor axle held by two jewel bearings and one C-clip. Doesn't make a noise except the clicks from time to time. ETA movements are ball bearing equipped which results in a noise - the noise might be more quiet if oiled properly, but they should always make a sound. The 7750 is the worst, with unidiretional autowinder it can spin up heftily generating a very loud sound. The both-direction winders on 28XX movements create more or less sounds from winding - it's all normal. Even a new Omega Planet Ocean which has an altered and better winding system makes a noise like crazy....

Not correct I am sorry.

I would never be one to disagree with you and your experience...that's for sure, but I think they're talking about RELATIVE noise. True, my Rollies are silent...my A21J's are loud...some of my A7750s are LOUD...but, my ETAs are waaay more quiet, and my Ziggified A7750s are as well.

The rotor should not spin on a ETA 2836 or any movement in this caliber range. It's a bi-directional winding movement and the rotor should be silent because it has resistance in both winding directions. If you hear a spinning rotor it sounds like you have an asian movement that is only unidirectional in winding, or one of the asian auto's with the magic wheel winding system.

I also don't think the rollie's (genuine ones) are silent at all, in my experience most are noisier than the automatic ETA's due to the rotor flexing and hitting and wearing against the movement. I can't hear any of my ETA auto's when swirling them, they are all silent.

RG

I have to (mostly) disagree with you Ziggy. The only time I hear rotor noise from a Rolex movement is when it is in need of service. Conversely, similarly silent ETA rotors are, in my experience, the exception rather than the rule. The only truly Rolex-quiet ETA I have ever seen was the original 2846 that came in my MBW DRSD (which also died within a couple of months). In fact, I am sitting here with a recently serviced gen 3035 on my right wrist (DJ) & a recently serviced 2846 on my left (my DRSD beater). Shaking both watches next to my ears, I can barely hear the 3035, but I can hear the 2846 from about 6-8 inches away (beyond that, I can no longer hear the 2846's rotor either).

Now that I think about it...it's probably 25 years of being too close to running jet engines that accounts for the quiet rotors...many of those years working a few feet from running F-18 engines, and you know they aren't very stealthy...

My sense of smell is also gone, but that can be a blessing on 5-Alarm chili night :)

RG

Now that I think about it...it's probably 25 years of being too close to running jet engines that accounts for the quiet rotors...many of those years working a few feet from running F-18 engines, and you know they aren't very stealthy...

:rofl: (or maybe that is not so funny :cry: )

Yeah, that will probably quiet down those rotors & those F-18s definitely trump anything on my resume (I only wish), but I did do some time standing in front of a Marshall stack, which took its toll.

My sense of smell is also gone, but that can be a blessing on 5-Alarm chili night :)

I can still smell a heated cathode in an EL34, so I guess there is still hope.