When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice On Gen Rolex! Please...

Alextor

Hello guys and especially the Rolex experts in our community...(and there are plenty)

Here's my dilemma...I'm trading in my 15000 1985 Rolex Date and buying a new, grown up Rolex...I got some credit for it so I'll be pulling the trigger soon.

My options have been reduced to 2 or 3 models and I'd really appreciate any informed advice you can provide... even if you can direct me to the proper links...(my knowledge stops at the dial level)...All models are new...

- Rolex Datejust 2006 model...(around $4000)

- Rolex Sea Dweller (around $4400)

- Rolex Submariner with date ($4400)

Best regards to all of you and thank you in advance for your input!

Virtual beers to everyone!!! :drunk:

Great choices, Alextor!

My pick of the three would be the Sea-Dweller followed by the Submariner.

Having said this, try them on and see which feels the most comfortable on your wrist. The SD sits much higher do to its super thick and sharply angled case back. On my wrist, the SD seems to move from side to side quite a bit. The Submariner with its lower profile and flat case back may be more comfortable for you.

You might also check out the 14060 Submariner no-date which is not as common as the cyclpos model. It is considerably less expensive and seems to be in hot demand these days. They tend to fly off the shelf on TZ considerably faster than 16610.

Happy hunting. :D

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Great choices, Alextor!

My pick of the three would be the Sea-Dweller followed by the Subamriner.

Having said this, try them on and see which feels the most comfortable on your wrist. The SD sits much higher do to its super thick and sharply angled case back. On my wrist, the SD seems to move from side to side quite a bit. The Submariner with its lower profile and flat case back may be more comfortable for you.

You might also check out the 14060 Submariner no-date which is not as common as the cyclpos model. It is considerably less expensive and seems to be in hot demand these days. They tend to fly off the shelf on TZ considerably faster than 16610.

Happy hunting. :D

Jet

Thanks Jet, the fog in my mind started to dissipate! :D

I like the sub best, datejust if you are older. Most people think the datejust is more expensive than a sub, even though it is not.

You consider getting a used one, perhaps off timezone? You might save a grand or so. If you are just going to wear it every day no harm in one that has been worn a week or two. People here can confirm it is real in .02 seconds flat.

Hello guys and especially the Rolex experts in our community...(and there are plenty)

Here's my dilemma...I'm trading in my 15000 1985 Rolex Date and buying a new, grown up Rolex...I got some credit for it so I'll be pulling the trigger soon.

My options have been reduced to 2 or 3 models and I'd really appreciate any informed advice you can provide... even if you can direct me to the proper links...(my knowledge stops at the dial level)...All models are new...

- Rolex Datejust 2006 model...(around $4000)

- Rolex Sea Dweller (around $4400)

- Rolex Submariner with date ($4400)

Best regards to all of you and thank you in advance for your input!

Virtual beers to everyone!!! :drunk:

The problem with recommendations from us, is you get suggestions based on what WE like.

Go to a dealer and try on all three. See which one moves you the most. Which one will fit your lifestyle? Based on the prices you posted, my guess is the Sub and DJ are NIB and the SD is slightly used. Are you comfortable with a used watch? No reason not to be, but some people don't like to go that way. Do these watches come with the boxset and papers? While not important on the surface, could be very important to you, money wise, when or if you decide to sell down the road.

That said, all things equal, papers, boxsets, etc. If the decision were mine to make, I would go with the SD. I am not a fan of the cyclops.

Also, if at all possible, sell your 15000 outright rather than trade it in. You will, more than likely, receive more money for it that way. Watch dealers are like car dealers. They want to make money on both ends, new and used. They are not there to do you any favors.

Hope this helps your decision.

Out of the 3, I'd definitely have to recommend the 16610 Submariner Date. Best all around watch; very versatile, comfortable on the wrist and as Mike mentioned, retains it's value quite well.

If possible, however, I would try and find something with a little more vintage appeal- A nice 16800 or 16660 is an excellent choice- All the great characteristics of the old vintage matte dialed models but with a sapphire crystal. These ref's are starting to increase in popularity, but either of those would be my preference these days for genuine...

The problem with recommendations from us, is you get suggestions based on what WE like.

Go to a dealer and try on all three. See which one moves you the most. Which one will fit your lifestyle? Based on the prices you posted, my guess is the Sub and DJ are NIB and the SD is slightly used. Are you comfortable with a used watch? No reason not to be, but some people don't like to go that way. Do these watches come with the boxset and papers? While not important on the surface, could be very important to you, money wise, when or if you decide to sell down the road.

That said, all things equal, papers, boxsets, etc. If the decision were mine to make, I would go with the SD. I am not a fan of the cyclops.

Also, if at all possible, sell your 15000 outright rather than trade it in. You will, more than likely, receive more money for it that way. Watch dealers are like car dealers. They want to make money on both ends, new and used. They are not there to do you any favors.

Hope this helps your decision.

Thanks Shark and thanks Mike, Ubi, Cray, Jet and all of you! It's true, we all recommend what we feel is the best option if we were in that position. I do greatly appreciate input from people who know more about watches, and Rolexes in particular, than myself.

After reading the replies I know what to look for, resale value, and details -like the case thickness- I was not fully aware. Also, the TZ tip was helpful, as I'd know where the market is at this point.

I also ditched the datejust, and leave it for my 50th birthday or to celebrate a break-up...(haven't reached 40 yet) so I'll stay with either the Sub or the SD...I'll see what fits and feels better.

Thank you to all of you for this life (or wrist) saver!!!

Cheers :drunk: and blessings to all ye watch lovers and love watchers :thumbs:

Alex

Edited by Alextor

Sub, without a doubt, but that's what I'd buy, not what you should. Will you ever dive really deep?

Not in the water...but I try to dive as often as I humanly can! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Pugs! Sub is my first option now...I found out that the LV green bezel retails over the suggested retail price! ($6150 --sugg price $4875). Good thing that all LV reps are priced equally!

Cheers :drunk:

Alex