When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

College BCS Championship Series or Playoffs

lanikai

Well, I have always been a supporter of a "Playoff" for what is now a "Mythical NCAA Champion" (Number 1 at the end of the Bowl Series .. for those that are not aware) I have enjoyed the NCAA games sometimes much more than the NFL.. the tradition.. the announcers .. the student body all make for the "spirit" of the game..

But this season especially has me thinking .. because every week there has been a match up that is in and of itself like "The Championship" (as far as what's at stake and the hype).. because everything hinges on this or that game.. Maybe it's been a year of fantastic down to the wire football both in the

College level and the NFL also.

and any College BCS Series School President,.. Chancellor.. who says "It's not about the Money" .. is truly talking through both sides of his throat. .. because it is very much about the money.. and I have always been against a "computer" deciding .. especially with sports..

and for those of you who are unaware certain conferences are guaranteed a bowl Series berth.. and like Hawaii last year .. there is 1 'at large bid' .. depending on a host of prerequisites.. The Money is not as big for a team like Hawaii.. compared to the BCS Schools.. which equates to Millions.. making it a very unbalanced scale for recruiting etc. etc. ...

Then again this is what sports is all about at times.. David taking on Goliath and returning Victorious..as has happened time and time again..

anyway.. this is the rules for the BCS

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) is a selection system designed to give the top two teams in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) an opportunity to compete in a "national championship game". This championship is intended as a surrogate for a playoff system since the NCAA does not formally determine a champion in this category.[1]

The BCS relies on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games. The winner of this game is crowned the BCS national champion, and is guaranteed at least a share of the national championship.

The system also selects matchups for the other prestigious BCS bowl games. The ten teams selected include the conference champion from each of the six BCS conferences plus four others ("at-large" selections). The BCS was created by formal agreement among six conferences, and has evolved to allow other conferences to participate to a lesser degree. It is not formally recognized by the NCAA as a collegiate championship.

It has been in place since the 1998 season, but a number of controversial selections have spurred changes in the system that continue into the present. Prior to the 2006 season eight teams competed in four BCS Bowls. The BCS replaced the Bowl Alliance (in place from 1995

Playoffs for me too.

Currently there are 34 bowl games at the end of the year, and it only takes 6 wins to get into one.

If you wanted to do a playoff system, you could put 68 teams into a playoff without adding/subtracting games. Putting one week between games it would take 6 weeks to complete the cycle. Currently the bowl season takes 4 weeks to complete, but doesn't start until 3 weeks after the conference championship games. So from a timing standpoint it would still fit.

If this gets done, I think I would want to see the regular season limited to 10 games.

Or, my preference would be to limit the playoffs to 32 or even 16, and let the smaller bowl games invite those who didn't make the main field like the post-season NIT does for basketball.

The only downside I see is that the fans would have to travel a lot, so the bowls would have to do a good job of selling locally. The BCS can't argue about timing or number of games, and the quarters, semi's and finals could be rotated to give them all a chance to host the better games.

The "Corporate Sponsors" will have their say.. not publicly .. as they have lobbyist.. and millions upon millions at stake..

the time table and "students" out of class is bogus and just semantics...

man, now I am torn for the simple reason that the games from week to week are so exciting because of the BCS .. of course the playoff would be the only way to determine a true .. pure Champion.. hmmmm :g:

An 8 team playoff would be good, but you are talking 3 more games added to the end of the season. You will still have teams complain, such as 9 and 10.

Florida proved that it is better to lose early and go on a run instead of losing late like TT and falling out of the BCS championship hopes.

Natron