When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For Those Who Own Genuine 7750 Based Chronos...

Category 5

I got my Aquaracer automatic today from Ashford and it looks positively beautiful. There are some issues I want to check though. It's possible these are normal quirks of the fames 7750 movement.

1 - It looks like the hour chrono is a degree or two off center after a restet. Run the chrono and reset again and it looks bang on. Isn't this an issue with all 7750s and considered normal?

2 - Winding by the crown feels a little squeaky and unsmooth, especially compared to my ETA sub and Genuine Omega PO. Also, when unscrewing the crown there is a clicking noise, and even while screwing the crown in you are winding the spring. Again...normal for this movement?

3 - Setting the time feels a bit more rough than with my Omega PO (smooth as silk) and ETA Sub (less smooth than the omega). It seems to all work fine, but the movement feels a little less refined in it's operation by the crown.

So do I send this one back for a replacement, or will i just get another just like this one since all 7750s are known for these traits?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

After reading this I got two out of the case and checked neither had that problem. I would suggest having the store getting you a replacement. Did you get a good deal? PM me and I'll see if I can do better... Maybe you need a refund.. :whistling:

What a jeweler will say on a slow sales Saturday!!!

Edited by txjeweler

I had a gen Super Avenger for awhile. Winding was smooth as silk and the chronos reset always. But Breitling's Caliber 13 movements are only based on the Valjoux 7750 not assembled in the same factories. From what I understand they are decorated and assembled by Breitling. I've heard some say that even the 7750 from ETA is machine assembled and possibly not oiled as well as it could be. Maybe you just got an unlucky model.

If it were me I would exchange the watch. Gray market sellers like Ashford will provide a 2-3 year warranty but that is through themselves not direct with the manufacturer. Better to have a watch with no issues now than to try and deal with them later.

Cheers and congrats on the new purchase,

Jon :victory:

Well, Ashford has been excellent and are sending a new watch Monday. I am really impressed with their service. I will either send one or both watches back after examining the other. I think this one may just be a lemon. I have noticed that the crown is not straight on the stem either (wobbles when turning) and is thus difficult to screw down.

Perhaps the shop they got this batch from had this one on display. I always cringe to think how many people are handling the watches in display cases...and then some unsuspecting fool pays retail for them. Who knows how much they have been shaken, wound, dropped, tossed...and my favorite is the tric the canal street sellers use to show you that a watch is automatic. They smak it HARD on their pal to get the rotor spinning out of control and make the watch vibrate.

Yikes!

I did check out a gen at Tourneau and the chrono was pretty much straight. the winding was identical though, down to the rough resistance and slight squeak. I have a feeling it's a trait of the 7750 (at least not yet broken in ones).

Thanks for the replys.