When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC problems with IWC...

siesta181

Guys,

I know this is a place for replica discussion but I think I should bring this up as some of do collect gens as well.

I woke this morning feeling upbeat. First time in a very long time that I actually look forward to a Monday.No Monday morning blues whatsoever. Why??? I had an appointment to collect my Big Ingy at 11.30am. Giants won while I slept and Colts beat the Chargers (Lani & I were in da booth calling the play by play, Corgi & Patinga were missed). Perfect day.... so far

Collected the watch... didn't really look in detail... hey its a gen. So off it went to my drawer while I went abt my work (Its a Monday afterall)

Fast forward 6 hours. Back home open the box and the Big Ingy was staring straight at me... mighty fine looking watch, I must say. But hey... wait a minute.

WHERE"S THE BLOODY LUME PAINT AT THE "9" STICK MARKER????????? WTF. The DW didnt look too aligned either.

Off it went into the box. Not looking forward to a Tuesday which I forsee will be a long day at the Service Center.

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

But you gotta to love this.... :drool:

DSC01014.jpg

Cheers

Siesta181

The damn AD should bloody compensate you.

I don't know if it's an AD issue. I think AD's generally rely on high end brands to do their own QC. That's the whole point of buying a high end brand...because you're not supposed to have to worry about anything. ADs are to provide advice, and post-purchase support...and then dealing with the customer with the best possible where required. Most ADs don't have staff that are that knowledgeable about things I find.

I don't know if it's an AD issue. I think AD's generally rely on high end brands to do their own QC. That's the whole point of buying a high end brand...because you're not supposed to have to worry about anything. ADs are to provide advice, and post-purchase support...and then dealing with the customer with the best possible where required. Most ADs don't have staff that are that knowledgeable about things I find.

I couldn't agree more.

But these flaws (lume @ 9 & the mis-aligned DW) are just too basic to be missed. Bloody idiots shouldn't have even accepted this piece & displayed it in the first place!

Make HELL for them bro siesta! :blowup::protest::evil2:

Hi Bro,

Really feel for you. This is terrible! However, I am afraid that this is going to take a while to fix. I doubt Richemond will do anything other than send it back for servicing or fixing it. Its strange as this just happend to my friend who bought a Pam 88 a couple of months back and the small hand on the sub-dial at nine just fell off the very next day!

I went with him and we made a lot of noise but to no avail! Their only solution was to send it back for repairs! You mind if I ask where you bought it from?

Mark

I couldn't agree more.

But these flaws (lume @ 9 & the mis-aligned DW) are just too basic to be missed. Bloody idiots shouldn't have even accepted this piece & displayed it in the first place!

Make HELL for them bro siesta! :blowup::protest::evil2:

That's true. If a damaged car came to a dealer, they wouldn't have accepted it.

It just goes to show how good value the reps are!! At least when a rep arrives with crooked wheels or missing lume, you get grumpy but you kind of expect it deep down inside. ;)

I'm sure the AD will remedy the situation...likely with a bonus strap or buckle or something.

That's true. If a damaged car came to a dealer, they wouldn't have accepted it.

It just goes to show how good value the reps are!! At least when a rep arrives with crooked wheels or missing lume, you get grumpy but you kind of expect it deep down inside. ;)

I'm sure the AD will remedy the situation...likely with a bonus strap or buckle or something.

True on the value of reps, mate. Also, thank God for RWG for making us this anal...that's what siesta & me were discussing over the phone just now. Had it been someone else who bought it, he wouldn't have noticed the flaws after a long while, i bet! ^_^

True on the value of reps, mate. Also, thank God for RWG for making us this anal...that's what siesta & me were discussing over the phone just now. Had it been someone else who bought it, he wouldn't have noticed the flaws after a long while, i bet! ^_^

You got that right. We obsess over things you can't see without high magnification...the average person on the street doesn't even know how to spell "IWC". :D

Back from my hissy fit and much calmer now..... Thanks for all the kind words.

I have assurances that it will be resolved. A possible 1 to 1 exchange very likely. So alls well. Just serves to remind us that we should never take things for granted. I sourced the watch from a very very very reliable place so their assurances gave me piece of mind.

What concerns me is that this fault is something that can be avoided with visual QC. Open eyes and look. It shudders to think that there could be a loose screw in the movt. Hey they can miss out a lume marker..... nothing is impossible.

I would expect a full refund or replacement, plus 10% off any future purchase, or 10% back on the replacement cost.....

The AD needs the sale more than you need the watch, you are in the best position here ^_^

Bingo. If they know what's best for them, they'll go above and beyond to make it right.

Great looking IWC, too, BTW.

That is a bummer, nice new watchand you cant wear it, when it is a rep you half expect a fault but on a gen IWC, that realy is [censored]. But you have great taste!

Bugger always had great taste! ;)

And to think that i was looking forward to admiring it in person... Bro siesta, cheer up... I'm sure they'll quickly resolve this...

Guys,

One to one exchange. Within 15 minutes.

The staff at Richemont were quite sheepish at the apparent lack of QC. Gave me a deployant buckle for all my trouble.

Date wheel is not centered for all the 3 replacement watches they gave to me for me to choose from. Is this a trait of the 5001 movt? Any Port 7 day owners who can chime in.

Cheers

Siesta181

I saved these pictures to my "busted gens" folder. I think it really goes to show that these days quality control issues exist everywhere, even in the genuine luxury watch market where you pay thousands of dollars for something that is advertised as having been manufactured with the spirit of excellence in craftsmanship in mind.

I would go to your AD and raise such a storm that it would be like an apocalypse inside the shopping mall if this happened to me.

Guys,

The staff at Richemont were quite sheepish at the apparent lack of QC. Gave me a deployant buckle for all my trouble.

Date wheel is not centered for all the 3 replacement watches they gave to me for me to choose from. Is this a trait of the 5001 movt? Any Port 7 day owners who can chime in.

Cheers

Siesta181

Hi Bro,

That is good news! I don't recall having that issue with my previous 5001. But anyways, you managed to get a replacement that is the most important thing.

You will have to take some nice pics of the beautiful watch to show us! or better yet, show us in person!

Mark

I saved these pictures to my "busted gens" folder. I think it really goes to show that these days quality control issues exist everywhere, even in the genuine luxury watch market where you pay thousands of dollars for something that is advertised as having been manufactured with the spirit of excellence in craftsmanship in mind.

I would go to your AD and raise such a storm that it would be like an apocalypse inside the shopping mall if this happened to me.

Any chance of letting us have a peek at your treasure trove of busted gens ???

Glad to hear things got sorted out. A free deployment is a nice bonus (do I know how to call it or what?).

As to the datewheel alignment...this is not unusual for lots of gens if you look close.