When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hong Kong And Singapore

buckeye

My wife are taking a cruise in March 2007 as a 30th anniversay/retirement present to each other. I know some of you either live in those cities and/or travel there for business. What I'm interested in is any recommendations that you might have for hotels to stay. Given the nature of the trip, we're looking for something nice....thanks...

jeff

also, any "must does" in either city?

Edited by buckeye

In Hong Kong, if you are willing to indulge, you must stay at the famed Peninsula Hotel, as it is commonly a symbol of Hong Kong, and where the queen used to stay on her visits. It's expensive though.

There are many must does in Hong Kong, especially for WIS. You msut indulge in the watch window shopping, hundreds, thousands of genuine watches are in shop windows all across the city.

Here's a short list:

- Take the Star Ferry and enjoy the view

- Go up to the Peak on a clear night and enjoy the view as well

- Have high tea at the Ritz Carlton (My personal favourite place)

- Visit Wong Tai Sin temple

There's so many more, but I can't think of them at this time in the morning.

What Admin said, stay in Hong Kong Kowloon Peninsula Hotel.

The 4 seasons hotel is also very nice.

A few places to visit:

1. The peak. Great night scene. visit madame-tussauds wax to take pictures with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

2. The huge buddha or Wong Tai Sin Temple.

3. Take the ferry across the harbor or to outside islands for seafoods.

4. Shopping, shopping shopping. MongKok!

5. FOOD...

6. Maybe the disney if you have time.

7. You can also visit Macau or Shenzhen. It's about 2 hours away from downtown HK.

For Singapore,

Stay in Raffles Hotel Singapore if your savings allow. Ritz carlton is also nice.

Places to visit:

SENTOSA (A little island offshore but connected to mainland)

ORCHARD ROAD (Shopping area - not comparable to Hong Kong)

MOUNT FABER HILL for a nice drink at night to see the night view)

I am partial to the Conrad in Hong Kong. The Peninsula in Kowloon would probably be better.

The Conrad actually sits in a huge shopping mall that even has a subway station in the mall (Admiralty Station). You can go from the airport to the shopping mall by train and subway.

Bill.

I'll vote for SINGAPORE ! The cleanest city in thw world.

I've been to S'pore almost 10 times and stayed at a variety of Hotels.

My choice would be :

a. BEAUFORT SENTOSA - A 7Star resort inside Sentosa Island with a Limosine service to/fro the World Trade Centre and/or A'port.

Stay there for 2-3 nights

and then shift to

b. FULLERTON HOTEL - Amazing Place.

Either Hong Kong or Singapore, I am sure you'll enjoy your stay at either location.

Hong Kong: If you enjoy shopping and I am talking about major scale - "shop and walk till you drop kinda style", I recommend Marco Polo Gateway or Prince located at Harbour City. The hotels are quite affordable, spacious if you were to opt for the suites. One thing good about either hotel is the location. If you wish to cross over and visit Macau for some gaming experience at Sands, the harbour is just a stone's throw away. Shopping at Harbour City is amazing - from upscale French, Italian fashion to local. Watches are plenty and take advantage of the free tax on purchases when you are there.

Singapore: As Andrew mentioned, Ritz Carlton - the one and only 6 star hotel in Singapore. Excellent service, food and spacious suites. If you can get a honeymoon suite, go for it. Pricy yes, but very well worth it and will leave a most impressionable experience for both you happy couple. Location wise, very convenient. Marina Square and Suntec City (largest shopping complex in town) is just within walking distance. Orchard Road - the shopping district is not so near but a 5-10 min cab ride will have you there in good time.