When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lefty or righty

Limestone

Lefty or righty  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Left arm och right arm

• Left
    • Right
    • None

Its been done before but i will play again, left for me, my wife wears here watch also in the left but on lager watches that i have made for her she prefers the crown also to be on the left, i ignore this request and put it on the right so that i can wear them also, just like on this one.

DSC00900.jpg

Yeah these polls come up quite frequently. Quite simply, if a watch has a crown on the right side of the case, it is supposed to be worn on the left wrist for both comfort and the abilty to adjust the time or date and/or easily work the chrono pushers if the watch has them all without ever removing the watch from the wrist.

Some watches are desgned for hardcore divers have been designed to be worn on the right wrist instead with the crown on the left side of the case, such as the destro PAM's. There is only one reason for this in modern times other than dominant hand orientation - the invention of motorized "scooters" or propulsion devices. Because it is a motor and has magnetism it can interfere with a diver's compass. So since scooters are rigged on the right typically the compass has to be on the opposite hand - the left. So if the compass is on the left, the depth gauge and timer (or watch) will be on the right. These are supposed to always be visible no matter what you are doing. And the theory is if you are holding anything it will be in the right hand so your eye will never leave the right domination unless purposefully, i.e. you can always see the timer and depth. You can even see the depth gauge when reaching across with the left hand to operate the dump valve while holding the scooter in the right. Of course the whole thing reverses if you are left handed - but most dive equipment is ergonomically designed for right hand orientation and lefty's just have to adapt unfortunately.

But up here on the ground being left or right handed has nothing to do with anything really and the only real consideration is the crown position really. That said of course there is nothing wrong with wearing the watch on either wrist with any crown orientation if you find it comfortable. But I sure like being able to easily make adjustments without removing the watch.

BTW, I'm not a diver, but for years I always wondered about that and quite some time ago I researched it by doing some reading and asking some friends of mine who dive. Pretty interesting stuff...