When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 88 Is Here!

thomasng

Nice looking watches. Only flaws I see is that the GMT hand is a bit shorter then gen; the triangle on the GMT hand is slightly different in shape; the "swiss made" is supposed to be on either side of thte 12 marking, not beneath; and the usual date font and crown guard issues. Also, the PAM 89 has an anthracite dial, which is not the same as the rep's blue dial. Still, would be a nice watch once the price hits sub-$300.

One other big difference you didn't mention -- the gen 89 is titanium . . . although it's a very pretty watch the rep "89" is basically a fantasy watch, rather than a proper 89 rep. Not that it's a terrible thing.

For all those indicating this is a flawed PAM 89 rep - PAM 89 is Titanium, blue face with black subdial. If SS, blue face and blue subdial then this is PAM 228, so wrong comparison.

Ttk's offer is closer to the PAM 228 and I could not resist, so I bought it. Beautiful watch.

Neil's offer

and here is...

PAM 228

Usil

Edited by Usil

For all those indicating this is a flawed PAM 89 rep - PAM 89 is Titanium, blue face with black subdial. If SS, blue face and blue subdial then this is PAM 228, so wrong comparison.

Ttk's offer is closer to the PAM 228 and I could not resist, so I bought it. Beautiful watch.

Neil's offer

and here is...

PAM 228

Usil

Uhh . . . it's the dealers who are calling this a PAM 89, so I'm not sure why you accuse members of wrongly "indicating" this is a 89 rep. :g:

It's not exactly a 228 as the dial print is not quite right then, although I agree it's closer to 228 than the 89. Again, this is a very pretty watch but it's basically a fantasy model.

Saying 'For all those...' doesn’t point fingers at anyone in particular and I certainly do not ‘accuse’ members since I never even mentioned members. It was just a general statement and there were several threads on this and it was very confusing until the 228 was pointed out as being closest to what was being sold which is exactly what I indicated.

I would not call it a fantasy watch ether just because of the existing flaws. We don’t call most other replicas ‘fantasy watches’ with all their listed flaws. Yes, there are some issues like the text and I cannot tell if the case is brushed or not on what Ttk is selling so will see when it arrives.

The total watch descriptions from the dealers seems closer to the 228 (ss case, blue subdial) and not the 89 which should be titanium with black Subdial. I can not explain this unless the dealer reps have the black subdial though they look blue and are actually Titanium which is not mentioned. So it still looks confusing to me. It will be better when all this is better sorted out between the two watches by the manufacturers.

Flaws and all, I like the watch.

Usil

Edited by Usil

I love the watch too, I just bought one as well. I've got a Europelli black cordovan with blue stitch that will be perfect on it.

The real question is - now that the rep factories have figured out how to do a blue dial like this, how long it will be till we see a new version of the 168 chrono with the proper color and textured dial. That will be something. Or how long we will see a version of the 087 with the proper dial color (case and bezel already exist). Or the 120, which would be super easy as well, all the necessary parts already exist, just gotta put them together.

Anyway, I really like this watch, it gives me a fully polished luminor case, with skeleton hands, the GMT function, and the blue dial, a combo that I don't have on any of my other Panerais.

it gives me a fully polished luminor case, with skeleton hands, the GMT function, and the blue dial, a combo that I don't have on any of my other Panerais.

Me too.

It was the combination of everything together plus the comments by Neil that the watch looked stunning that sold me on this. I wanted to extend my Panerai collection and this looked perfect.

Next, I have always wanted a white dial Pam but have not decided which would be better. Currently, I do not have one. This too is to extend my collection to the differences available. I think many would look at all the black faced PAMs I have and initially, not see too much difference.

Usil

Me too.

It was the combination of everything together plus the comments by Neil that the watch looked stunning that sold me on this. I wanted to extend my Panerai collection and this looked perfect.

Next, I have always wanted a white dial Pam but have not decided which would be better. Currently, I do not have one. This too is to extend my collection to the differences available. I think many would look at all the black faced PAMs I have and initially, not see too much difference.

Usil

I have the 113, and it's "OK", but it doesn't call out to me veyr often. I think a busier white dial like the 188 would be better. I also notice that the bracelet tends to look better on busy dial pams, I think the marina dials are a little out of place with bracelets.

Saying 'For all those...' doesn’t point fingers at anyone in particular and I certainly do not ‘accuse’ members since I never even mentioned members. It was just a general statement and there were several threads on this and it was very confusing until the 228 was pointed out as being closest to what was being sold which is exactly what I indicated.

I would not call it a fantasy watch ether just because of the existing flaws. We don’t call most other replicas ‘fantasy watches’ with all their listed flaws. Yes, there are some issues like the text and I cannot tell if the case is brushed or not on what Ttk is selling so will see when it arrives.

Flaws and all, I like the watch.

Usil

Again, I don't disagree this is a sharp looking watch, and I appreciate you pointing out it looks most like the 228. One can't help wishing that the factories took the slight extra trouble to make the dial print the same as the 228 since it's just about there as you point out.

However, I have to say that your statement that you "never even mentioned members" is a bit confusing. You referred in your post to "all those who indicate this is a flawed 89" -- if you are not referring to members such as myself who pointed out the flaws, then who, pray, are you referring to? You are clearly writing in response to something, and I doubt any of the dealers went out of their way to indicate this was a flawed 89. So if not members, than whom? I understand you're not referring to me particularly or intending to criticize but to say your statement came out of a complete vacuum is unpersuasive to me.

Finally, calling this watch a "fantasy watch" -- you say no, I say yes. It probably is just a matter of semantics but to me if a maker intentionally mixes and matches aspects of various gens to create a watch that doesn't actually attempt to replicate any particular gen model, it's a fantasy watch. If you faithfully copy a gen but simply whiff on some details that's a rep. An obvious example of a fantasy watch being aspire's "summer blue Sub" which combines the blue bezel insert and dial of a TT blue sub with a SS case and bracelet. Another example is the SS Seawolf which simply does not have a gen counterpart. To me this new "89" isn't an 89, it's not a 228 but borrows from both -- voila, fantasy watch. albeit a nice one. If you prefer to call it a somewhat inaccurate 228 or a very inaccurate 89, I see where you're coming from, but to me that's no more or less apropos than simply calling it a fantasy watch.

kanerich,

For generally agreeing with each other outside of our personal preferences this is getting way to heavy a discussion. As I said I was just making a general statements - trying to draw from several threads to the make a point that it looked more like a 228 instead of the 89. I can agree that it draws from both which is why I said that I hope the manufacturers sort it out.

Usil

if you are not referring to members such as myself who pointed out the flaws, then who, pray, are you referring to?

Uhmm.... maybe I added to the general confusion here.

Apologies: I myself got quite confused -- and still I am. :black_eye:

Just some words as an explanation:

at first I only saw the watch dial, on TTK's post. Not being able to look at the caseback, I considered it a 228 (with flawed inscriptions) because of the blue dial and subdial and the SS case.

Then I saw the caseback, and it was consistent with the 089. So I considered it a mix 089/228, but more likely a 089 with a different (unaccurately repped) dial color and a different case material.

Then I found a line on Paneristi's site that said that F series (of 089) added a bracelet (like this watch actually has) and a new dial.

So my confusion was now complete -- and still it is.

I have been unable in finding any further info so far.