When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brand-specific Subforums

Could we make more comfortably accessed brand-specific discussion/reference forums for the 4-5 most discussed watch brands? Now people post their watch reviews to "Dealer Reviews", "General Discussion" and brand-specific "photo galleries".

It's kinda confusing, and certainly won't make browsing and searching for the noobs any easier. Frankly, I think it's a complete mess. Why people constantly post their TAG, Breitling, Rolex, PAM or Omega reviews and pictorials to the "General Discussion"? Because they don't necessarily even find the correct subforum!!! :bangin:

My best solution would be like at TRC (and almost ALL gen watch forums): "Panerai Area", "Omega Area", "Rolex Area" and perhaps TAG and Breitling Areas... and "OTHER BRANDS" for brands that people rarely purchase. Yes, including semi-popular brands like Breguet and Patek. Nobody has never, ever posted to the "Glycine Swiss" photogallery section for example. I say merge those. "EYECANDY" could be the last subforum for misc.rep pictures...like group shots and other misc. fun.

These specific areas should also be presented in bigger print so people could actually find them. Based on my experience from other forums too many different subforums just make the forum more complicated and information MUCH more difficult to access. Yes, the search function is there but it's amazing how few people can actually use it properly. Sad but true.

And those "photogallery" sections are much more than just galleries, which probably make some people think they just contain some reference pictures. Most watch reviews people post are there... and are kinda "hidden" behind the small print (if you know what I mean). Other (and technically perhaps easier) option is just to enlarge the print (or make it bolder) and stop calling them "Photo galleries" which they clearly just aren't.

I think it works exceptionally good at TRC, and it would make the browsing and accessing watch reviews much easier.

I also think moving Ziggy's exceptional movement reviews behind "Expert Area"-> "Movements"-> "Ziggy Zone"-> "Reviews, breakdowns" wasn't a good idea. You have to be really adventurous to actually ever find them. I think name of the "Expert Area" should at least get changed to "Replica watch movements & Expert Area"...to help finding those...and again get rid of as many subforums as possible. ;) Then we even have separate "Reviews" section which only has Dlgates' (excellent) watch reviews. That could be merged with the "Other" section and give Dave his own subforum in there.

Subforums "HELP" and "Hi, I'm new around here" and "Knowledge base" could be merged...and make the most important tutorial links sticky. And "Dealer review" should be used just for giving the basic information about the posters' latest good/bad transaction...not to post actual watch reviews/ pictorials (which again should be posted to the brand-specific subforums).

This is a fantastic forum, the moderators and Thomas are doing great job. I couldn't be happier here... and these are merely ideas, suggestions and constructive criticism to make this place even better...and more easily accessible. I've been a moderator in many Internet message forums and I guarantee you: Simpler is always better...and lesser subforums is always better.

Thanks for reading. ;)

BT

Edited by By-Tor

I like the idea of brand specific forums. It seems that GD gets really overwhealmed and it would be nice if posts were a bit more evenly spread out. You make a good comment about watch reviews being posted all over the place. That is not good.

I don't like the idea of merging the Knowledge Base with forums like 'Help' and the newbie area. The knowledge base is supposed to be a central location for all of the great informative posts that people create. So often, great posts get buried never to be seen again. Putting all of these posts as stickies over time would be too much IMO. I think a sticky in the newbie area explaining this may be good.

I think your theory of 'less is more' is a good one. Navigating can be a pain with so many forums and sub-forums all over the place.

Thanks Tom. Don't take my suggestions as gospel, they're merely suggestions.

Perhaps the "Knowledge base" is necessary for the noobs. Dunno how much they use it though. And maybe (like I said) some of the less used Photogallery subforums could be merged to "other" and we could just change them to brand-specific subforums and enlarge the print?

I think it's silly that people don't post review of their new, say, Breitling to the Breitling forum...but to the "General Discussion" or "Dealer Review". It would be so easy, logical and comfortable to scroll all the Breitling-related threads in the Breitling subforum don't you think? ;)

I think it's silly that people don't post review of their new, say, Breitling to the Breitling forum...but to the "General Discussion" or "Dealer Review". It would be so easy, logical and comfortable to scroll all the Breitling-related threads in the Breitling subforum don't you think? ;)

I totally agree. Something needs to be done about the reviews being all over the place.

Nobody has never, ever posted to the "Glycine Swiss" photogallery section for example. I say merge those. "EYECANDY" could be the last subforum for misc.rep pictures...like group shots and other misc. fun.

I'd kill for a generic Eyecandy section here. In fact, as a prolific photo poster, can I lobby for one? :D