When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not

andreww

Just wanted to relate a couple of experiences I recently had.

Story 1

I've owned a Panerai 192 Tantalium for about three years and have worn it quite regularly to the office. I received a few favorale compliments on it when I first got it, but nothing in at least three and a half years. After recently having the great thrill of being able to try on the genuine 192 (Only 300 of these in the world) I immediately began searching for a strap similar to the camel colored deployant that was on the gen. I had no luck, in fact I'd actually been keeping my eyes open for one of these for years, until I was contacted by a kindhearted RepGeek who happened to remember that I was searching for this strap. He had found a beautiful Toscana, exactly what I was looking for, and actually ended up purchasing it and shipping it to me (what a great community we have!). Anyway, after taking the opportunity to polish the bezel, I mounted the strap and wore it to work the next day. Within a couple of hours a colleague commented to me that my 192 was the nicest watch that he had ever seen me wear!

Story 2

My Breitling Chrono Avenger V2 is a watch that I've owned for about two and a half years. Never received a comment on this one even though it has been worn quite regularly. Recently I decided that I could no longer live with the oversized crappy looking pearl. The pearl is a glaring tell on this particular model, so I ripped it out and started from scratch. Using my Dremel as a makeshift lathe I constructed and installed 3 different pearls before I finally got it to where I was happy with it. During its construction I took many trips to the AD to study the genuine. While there I became aware of several other subtle differences, mostly on the bezel. Crispness of the rider tabs, incorrectly polished areas, and the direction of brushed surfaces were the things I paid attention to in particular. After each visit I would apply what I had seen to my rep, using flat files, sandpapers, and my trust Dremel. Today was the Chrono Avengers maiden outing after it's makeover and while Christmas shopping in a sporting goods store over the lunch hour I was approached by a young sales clerk who immediately said "that is a beautiful Breitling you have there".

So there you have it, two watches that have garnered no attention in years of combined use only to be immediately noticed after some very subtle modifications. I have always been the kind of guy that could live with minor flaws, but I'm beginning to realize that sometimes these little imperfections can keep a good looking watch from being a great looking watch! Maybe others, even though the may know nothing about a particular model, may be able to sense what is wrong in a watch's design?

Anybody else had a similar experience?

Very interesting stories. Now I want to check out your Chrono Avenger!! How did you make the pearl?? That's a tutorial that needs to happen methinks!!

For the most part, I don't work with a lot of people who are really into watches. There are a lot of gen Rolexes lying around...but nobody is really into them and just bought them because of the name. I have had bank tellers comment on my watches a few times at the BMO main branch on King though.

I find making those subtle changes really makes a difference in how I look at items though, and possibly how I wear them. After The Zigmeister did some work on my SMP Chrono he threw in some bonus work of painting my hands to match the rehaut red markings and asked if I noticed his surprise. I didn't. I tried comparing it to some other reps like Lani's...and still couldn't tell the difference...only to realize that The Zigmeister did the same work to the other watches I was comparing so no wonder I couldn't see the difference.

When he told me what he did...everytime I look at the watch, I can't keep my eyes off the beautiful mod...small...but the value's in the details I guess!!

Very interesting stories. Now I want to check out your Chrono Avenger!! How did you make the pearl?? That's a tutorial that needs to happen methinks!!

Here is what the pearl looked like

pearlold148.jpg

Here is the modified pearl

pearl3506.jpg

Its not 100% but its much better than it was. Unfortunately the recessed hole in the bezel is very shallow on this model, so the entire pearl assembly ends up being less than 1mm deep. Even at that it sits a little high, but until I get some more precise tools, its as good as its going to get.

Thanks Hyster, I used steel and made sure that I left it brushed. On such a small piece you can't see the difference. Titanium is very hard, which is the reason I gave up trying to drill the bezel a little deeper. Also, something that I discovered, the cleaned titanium instantly begins to turn black when epoxy is applied. It was very important to get the pearl to fit snugly into the recessed area, as any gap looked awful with the blackened epoxy peaking through.

Thanks Hyster, I used steel and made sure that I left it brushed. On such a small piece you can't see the difference. Titanium is very hard, which is the reason I gave up trying to drill the bezel a little deeper. Also, something that I discovered, the cleaned titanium instantly begins to turn black when epoxy is applied. It was very important to get the pearl to fit snugly into the recessed area, as any gap looked awful with the blackened epoxy peaking through.

Very interesting! It looks great. Where did you get your steel stock blank? Did you get steel rod from Active Surplus and just file it down while spun on the dremel and then drill it out??

I'm impressed!

It would be hard to get that hole in the bezel drilled deeper as you would probably need a tiny forstner bit and a solid protective clamp setup. IT would be tricky to drill out without overheating the metal and turning it purple.

Actually, the stock is one of my jewelers screwdrivers. Basically, I cut off the head then about half the handle. Mounted that in the chuck of my dremel and began shaping it. Once shaped, I cut off the end bit and then punched out what was left of the screwdriver tip. Kind of a waste of a screwdriver, but they are precision made with the hole absolutely centered. Good steel as well.

Actually, the stock is one of my jewelers screwdrivers. Basically, I cut off the head then about half the handle. Mounted that in the chuck of my dremel and began shaping it. Once shaped, I cut off the end bit and then punched out what was left of the screwdriver tip. Kind of a waste of a screwdriver, but they are precision made with the hole absolutely centered. Good steel as well.

Go MacGyver...great solution. My "theorized" solutions are always infinitely more complex than they need to be.