When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

VC Patrimony with Asian 2892-2 : New, Stops at random

webvan

Just got the the Vacheron Constantin Rep I ordered from PAM11, the ASIA 2892 FOR MAN PATRIMONY ROSE GOLD SILVER (link to add on RWG) with an Automatic Asia 2892-2 and for some reason it stops after a couple of minutes, about 5. I sent him an email about that problem but haven't heard back yet.

At first I hadn't wound it, as I never do it with automatic movements, just shaken it a bit to get the rotor moving. Thinking it maybe needed some help I wound it and now it runs longer, between 30 and 50 minutes for my new tries, but ends up stopping again. Probably not much I can do on my end and since its brand new he'll probably ask me to ship it back, but is that a known problem on these movements ?

One thing I noticed right off the bat too is that if I shake it so as to make the rotor turn really fast the seconds briefly stops. Never noticed that on any other automatic watch.

Thanks for any help !

ST26 is the name of the Asian 2892-2 copy ?

Thanks for your comments. It doesn't seem to be a power reserve problem because one small tap and it starts ticking again for X minutes, seems to be longer each time I tap it! Maybe some lubing issue or something rubbing? The fact that the seconds stop when the rotor is made to spun fast seems fishy too ?

I suppose I'm going to be out of pocket again on the return costs :-( After having to send back 4 watches (one was the wrong model) to watcheden a couple of weeks ago and now this, I'm beginning to think you're better off getting a second hand rep from a member here!

Not totally unusual for this model to have problems...

The rotor is bi-directional winding, so it shouldn't move freely, but you have to handwind a 2892 about 75 turns on the crown for a full wind.

There are no issues on this one for handwinding, so first I would hand wind it and see what it does. If it doesn't work, it could be one of many problems, and probably not something you can fix anyway.

Disapointing, but I have replaced a number of these movements with genuine ETA ones over the years, they aren't very good in my opinion.

Good luck,

RG

Thanks again, yes rather disappointing, I can't see how Pam111 could refuse to take it back and fix it since its new, but the whole hassle of shipping and waiting is annoying.

I don't know a local watchsmith who works on reps I could take it to and it seems like you don't think it's worth servicing it anyway, you'd just put in a better movement ?

By the way I've put a picture of the watch below and I'm not sure Cousins ST18 would fit the date part ? I googled ST26 but I'm not seeing for sure it's the 2892-2 ?

W3720-2.jpgo

If the watch was a "keeper" for me, I would install a ETA 2892 in place of this one. This is only my opinion, but looking in my spares scrapped out watch cabinet, there are a number of these movements sitting there...un-repairable and just plain troublesome.

It could be something really simple causing the problem, like a hand or hands touching, but then again, it could be a major issue with the movement.

I hope it all works out in the end.

RG

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sending it back to Pam111 so he can fix it/swap it, I'll post here if I get any info on what was wrong to it can help others with the same problem.

@The Zigmeistersumba - thanks for your reply to my PM, I answered today to say thanks, but it seems your PM is closed.