When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea Review

lanikai

Yup. Just finished reading the review. The bezel is a dead giveaway imo. The thinner fonts are quite different. The colour of the numbers on the bezel is very different as well. I read somewhere that the number recesses on the ceramic bezel is filled with platinum.

The Deepsea V3 is a pefect replication apart from the ceramic bezel. But its too big of a flaw for me to pull the trigger right now.

Cheers

Siesta181

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I just got mine. Sorry no pics yet. One question though. Mine doens't have a beveled date window and the markers glow blue but the hour and minute hands (not the second hand) glows green instead of blue. Does this mean that the seller misinformed me stating that this is the latest version of the DSSD? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First impression. Other than the noticable skinny bezel font, the watch, overall, seems very good.

Ok, I just got mine. Sorry no pics yet. One question though. Mine doens't have a beveled date window and the markers glow blue but the hour and minute hands (not the second hand) glows green instead of blue. Does this mean that the seller misinformed me stating that this is the latest version of the DSSD? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First impression. Other than the noticable skinny bezel font, the watch, overall, seems very good.

First congrats Z...

The DW is one of 2 flaws Z .. the V2 has a beveled Date Window.. but everything else is terribly wrong ..

The lume needs a day or 2 out of the box before the lume will be uniform... the green will turn to blue.. so no worries .. try putting it under a halogen lamp for 30 to 40 min. it will be green then turn blue.. but it really needs a couple of day's out of the box ...

My lume took a couple of day's to really get uniform .. out of the box after charging it under a halogen it was green and slowly turned blue..

Live Strong and Wear it Well !!

Z

How long did yours take to get here. I ordered mine from Josh last Sat and it's not here yet. Usually Josh has been 5 -6 days from order to doorstep

This is F-ing killing me!!!! My self purchased Xmas present is late!!!!!

Z

How long did yours take to get here. I ordered mine from Josh last Sat and it's not here yet. Usually Josh has been 5 -6 days from order to doorstep

This is F-ing killing me!!!! My self purchased Xmas present is late!!!!!

T ... just to put your mind at rest.. mine took over 8 day's .. it's the luck of the draw with the Holiday mail traffic I guess.. for some reason my parcel arrived in a timely manner to Conus.. then with all the mail in Customs , it took longer.. and then they rerouted it to another County in Cali. ... so for what it's worth .. "tis the season" for slower than normal everything ... except bills.. :rolleyes:

I know Lani but it's still killin me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great review by the way you definately tiped me on this one!!

Funny thing. I was in the AD today and looked closely at the SD. The bezel fonts on it looked a little thin compared to the pics I'd seen. My guess is that those Bezel fonts are pretty close when compared to the real deal and not pics.

There is definitely a difference....there is a post on rg where a bro bought a gen dssd for xmas and a rep v3 and has comparison pics.

But in his own words....unless you compare it with a gen....you will never be able to say that the rep is a rep :p

Cheers

Great review and pics Lani as usual. This watch isn't my cup of tea in looks or feel or wearability, but there is no doubt they came close to really nailing this one. The dial print is quite an improvement and they new clasp system on these is genius. I spent some time checking that out at the AD the other day. I also like the blue lume glow for a change. Of course this watch (like all reps) has that one or more little things that make you just be so annoyed at the factories. Like in this case not beveling the date window edges. That would bug me for sure. The fonts you really can't see so it is no big deal, but if they are doing a so called 1:1 replication, why not trace the dial and get the fonts perfect too?

Of course I have been asking that question alone for 5 years now and the answer is they won't ever make any one version perfect so they can sell the same watch over and over with different verisons. I just wish there was an option to pay more up front and get the perfect version instead of having to buy two or three watches and swap parts over time. You know they will come out with a V2 or V3 that will have the serifs, but then the dial finish will be wrong. Or they will fix the bevel on the date window but the dial print will be bad on that version or something.

Oh well, I don't mean to be overly critcal but it just gets boring seeing the same mistakes made on purpose every time a new rep comes out. And for me, the closer they get to achieveing gen quality it amplifies the phenomenon even more. In a way, I liked reps better when they were more flawed. Now that the bar is so high it is more frustrating knowing that every single flaw and quality issue is literally a concious choice to get it wrong. As I said, I wish they would just have the standard 1:1 watch for each model with a few flaws for $300 or whatever and then a perfect verison for like three times as much or something and they were dead honest and said, "Look, we need to sell multiple versions to keep you coming back and make it worth our while, but if you want to surrender right now to sinking a grand into the perfect rep we will let you do it now instead of over time with several versions, swapped parts, and a trip to your modder..." If I were a factory, I would want to get some of those mod dollars for myself and get creative with better versions and charge picky guys like me a fortune for that perfection...

Don't get me wrong, if I liked the gen piece I would buy this rep IN A SECOND. It is really a great replication no doubt. But since I know dealers and factotries and dealers who partner with factories read our threads, someone has to keep saying this stuff in the hopes that maybe someone will start taking advantage of an opportunity to charge some of us more by pre-perfecting future versions and do it right at the outset specifically to charge Ideal Watches type pricing. LOL.

Hey factory man, listen up. I'm a sucker. Take me down. LOL. You guys are losing good money to gen companies from guys like me who pay outragous prices for those because you refuse to make perfect watches on purpose. For a truly perfect ETA rep I would absolutely pay a ton for it - for the priviledge of not having to "ship a case and a dial to be swapped - and a different caseback - and crown from the Asian version - yadayada- whatever to a modder for lume and AR and labor and reassembly, etc." A guy can dream can't he?

I just received mine from Josh and it is beautiful...the bezel fonts on mine are clearly thinner than those pictured of the V3 above, I must have gotten a V2. Bummer. Otherwise the piece is as stunning as my brother in law's GEN. I will be in contact to see if somehow the problem can be remedied.

Does anyone sell the appropriate bezel insert yet?

Nope you got a V3 the bezel fonts on the V2 are fatter but way off in terms of sharpness ect

Hey tanya,

Long time not talk my man. Hope you're having a great Holiday Season. I'm still very much enjoying the MM20 :).

I actually purchased mine new (still wrapped) from another member in CONUS. So I was fortunate enough to get mine in 4 business days. There are a few things that does bother me about this watch. Such as the 20mm bracelet, but overall I'm really getting attched to this one. I'm warming up to her quite nicely. I'm very much a large watch guy, but this one has definitely found a place on my wrist. I'll try to post some pics (wrist shots) ASAP. For those of you on the fence, I'd suggest you jump in with both feet as the quality on this piece is simply amazing. Feels much better than my old gen SD for sure!!!

Great review and pics Lani as usual. This watch isn't my cup of tea in looks or feel or wearability, but there is no doubt they came close to really nailing this one. The dial print is quite an improvement and they new clasp system on these is genius. I spent some time checking that out at the AD the other day. I also like the blue lume glow for a change. Of course this watch (like all reps) has that one or more little things that make you just be so annoyed at the factories. Like in this case not beveling the date window edges. That would bug me for sure. The fonts you really can't see so it is no big deal, but if they are doing a so called 1:1 replication, why not trace the dial and get the fonts perfect too?

Of course I have been asking that question alone for 5 years now and the answer is they won't ever make any one version perfect so they can sell the same watch over and over with different verisons. I just wish there was an option to pay more up front and get the perfect version instead of having to buy two or three watches and swap parts over time. You know they will come out with a V2 or V3 that will have the serifs, but then the dial finish will be wrong. Or they will fix the bevel on the date window but the dial print will be bad on that version or something.

Oh well, I don't mean to be overly critcal but it just gets boring seeing the same mistakes made on purpose every time a new rep comes out. And for me, the closer they get to achieveing gen quality it amplifies the phenomenon even more. In a way, I liked reps better when they were more flawed. Now that the bar is so high it is more frustrating knowing that every single flaw and quality issue is literally a concious choice to get it wrong. As I said, I wish they would just have the standard 1:1 watch for each model with a few flaws for $300 or whatever and then a perfect verison for like three times as much or something and they were dead honest and said, "Look, we need to sell multiple versions to keep you coming back and make it worth our while, but if you want to surrender right now to sinking a grand into the perfect rep we will let you do it now instead of over time with several versions, swapped parts, and a trip to your modder..." If I were a factory, I would want to get some of those mod dollars for myself and get creative with better versions and charge picky guys like me a fortune for that perfection...

Don't get me wrong, if I liked the gen piece I would buy this rep IN A SECOND. It is really a great replication no doubt. But since I know dealers and factotries and dealers who partner with factories read our threads, someone has to keep saying this stuff in the hopes that maybe someone will start taking advantage of an opportunity to charge some of us more by pre-perfecting future versions and do it right at the outset specifically to charge Ideal Watches type pricing. LOL.

Hey factory man, listen up. I'm a sucker. Take me down. LOL. You guys are losing good money to gen companies from guys like me who pay outragous prices for those because you refuse to make perfect watches on purpose. For a truly perfect ETA rep I would absolutely pay a ton for it - for the priviledge of not having to "ship a case and a dial to be swapped - and a different caseback - and crown from the Asian version - yadayada- whatever to a modder for lume and AR and labor and reassembly, etc." A guy can dream can't he?

Hey Robbie.. how bout a "Readers Digest" condensed version.... kidding man .. jus bustin your you know what's...

I'll just brew up more coffee so I can read this.. :lol:

Does this mean your not gettin one ?? :shock:

Well, mine just arrived. Quite a beast....lovely beast that is. Question: How do you resize the braclet? Same old way? Take a link out? Unfortunately, the sliding adjustment isn't enough. still to big.

Thanks in advance for the input.

same same.. if you take out 2 links all you need to remove is 1 and so forth ... the ratchet adjustment is good for your macro adjusting if you have a wrist that varies in size to the weather and diet

can't wait for the pics R...

Geez I know brah. I'm wondering how much coffee I drank to write that. LOL. I am amped from the holidaze I guess...

Nah, I don't really care for the watch - too chunky for my taste. And as great as it is I probably picked the wrong thread/watch to rant about factory stuff on. Sorry bro. Has nothing to do with the DS really...

Again, and for the record, from what I can tell, this is but another near perfect rep and I think it is great. I guess the better they get I realize more and more that the lack of perfection is a conciousl effort to generate more capital with more and more versions. I mean hey, they have been doing it with Subs for how long now?

Rules of the game I know, but I still wish there was a higher cost option or something to get basically flawless versions of any super rep...

Hey Robbie.. how bout a "Readers Digest" condensed version.... kidding man .. jus bustin your you know what's...

I'll just brew up more coffee so I can read this.. :lol:

Does this mean your not gettin one ?? :shock:

Hahaha Kruzer. You are right though. And that is what it has come to for me really only because the industry chooses the path they do. But I still think they are a waste of money sometimes knowing the rep factory could nail them if they wanted to. The little details are everything in horology to me. But I sort of grew into that through a love for reps ironically. Oh well...

Of course on this watch I wouldn't buy the gen as it doesn't interest me - but if it did I'm sure that is what I would end up doing. To each his own of course which is what makes us great here, but if I really love something only the gen is ever going to do it for me. That is how I ended up with the PO, the modern DJ, The Aquatimer, and many more. But I'm very pleased with them all of course. Hey, they are perfect, right?!

So now as 2009 moves in, I have decided to only pursue vintage reps and a whole new knowledge base which is very exciting for me. With those I can treat them as homage pieces and never be disappointed and I can share them as such with friends and clients, etc. I'm also not going to age them and build them as NOS homage pieces as if came out of a time capsule - on purpose. That way I'm not really after the details other than what gen parts and mods can be fit for quality reasons. But with these vintage homage pieces the whole point won't be to get them gen like, but to make a recreation which are sort of purposefully flawed given that it is just an homage anyway. So to that end I can enjoy the process without really having to go for as much perfection as we all like to do with our modern reps if that makes any sense. It sort of eliminates my issues with so called 1:1 modern reps that are still flawed and still allows me to participate here other than just posting my watches in wristchecks which I miss to be honest. The thrill of the hunt...

Above all, I'm looking forward to wearing a vintage rep and actaully hoping people go, "Hey, is that a fake?" to which I can proudly answer, "Why yes, I had it built up from replica and gen parts to resemble a watch from the 60's (or whatever) as a conversation piece." In my world if I did that with modern reps I'm not sure how it would go over to be honest - especially with clients. I'm not sure most of them would want to know I owned replica Rolex instead of buying one in a store like they did. But I'm 100% sure they would be intereted in a brand new 67' recreation that I assembled from parts from all over which can't be bought in any store in that condition...

In any case, to all the DS owners: Good luck with these and enjoy them. They are obviously really great reps and well made. Cheers!

There is a higher cost version - the gen. :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I decided to go for it. If I love it I will start saving my pennies for either v.4 or the gen. Gen could take a while though. :rolleyes:

Robbie,

I "think" I totally get you. I mean most people like watches or horology because of the precision of these small mechanical devices. Most of the time I find myself just gazing at a time piece and I think I do this because I know what it takes to make all this happen. Well some what. In either case, that is why I find myself so torn in the rep world. What draws me to these amazing machines is the precision that it takes to create these time pieces, yet the prices that they demand is off putting at the least. So the rep world is a welcome alternative, but I realize that I'm forced to compromise the very thing that lures me to this hobby. So the dilema with regards to this hobby is two folds. Do I pay the outrageously high prices and enjoy the fact that these pieces are perfect? Or do I save my money and accept the fact that reps will never be perfect? My solution has been, up to this point, is to balance reps with gens. My collection is a creative balance between gens and reps. Mind you it's a precarious dance of balance, but it works and serves it's purpose. LOL

The hunt?... the precarious dance of balance?... whatever you want to call it, call it, but just don't forget that it's only a hobby. Enjoy the dilema my friend. :)

Thanks Z. I couldn't have articulated as well as you did, but you really nailed the paradox of how I feel about it. By definition, we all love perfection or we wouldn't be here. Yet, we are usually willig to make sacrifices to that for the sake of money and/or the fun of projects. For me, if I remove the "project" element I realized that as long as I can swing it I will just pony up for perfection. The reason why to buy a gen for me probably reads something like: "Why not? I only live once so why not get what I really want. It's only money...". I just realized I love perfect watches more than I love saving money by cutting a few corners. But for me that isn't a watch thing - that is how I do everything in my life so it makes sense really given my personality.

But when you leave the "project" in the mix though, the line becomes blurred. On the one hand, I end up asking myself why do the project if I know I'll like the gen more and then that wins out - but I'm also not a guy who works on his own watches. I send them out all over for different things and to be honest, that has become less fun over the years for me. Plus, for a modern watch I feel since the end result is still never 100% the only real reason to do it for me would be money because I don't do the labor. So to that end I decided to never buy modern reps again. But for vintage I think I will have the most rewarding experience ever here. With those there is no excuse. I can't buy a NOS 1680 if I wanted to so an homage is not only a labor of love, it is also the only alternative. I think that will rekindle my fire. Not aging them solves every issue for me and allows me to do something unique at the same time. Since they will not be aged I will never say to myself, "Hey, just buy a gen vintage..." Nor will I feel bogged down trying to get the rep aged perfectly to look just like the gen watch. I can start with some great rep stuff, do some simple lume, gen crystal, gen crown & tube, drilled lugs, CG shaping, maybe a DW overlay and I will truly be happy with the result for once and enjoy sharing it with non-rep people. In the rep world that is beyond my experience given that I have always been too focused on perfection for the reason you state brings us here in the first place.

I also have realized lately that this really isn't a hobby for me so much anymore believe it or not. Coming to the forum is, but watches aren't my hobby like they are to Freddy or Tribal or Lani. Those guys are all serious modders and collectors that have work benches and parts and in the case opf Lani, boxes and boxes of watches. I just sold more than a dozen gens because I couldn't stand to own anything I didn't wear all the time. I'm doing that in every corner of my life which is another story. My biggest goal is to live in a hotel and buy new clothes every week in exchange for having no closet space. LOL. Seriously.

But anyway, watches for me have become something different and personal and to that end I could never really be a collector anymore unless I had a real purpose like the NOS vintage idea I have to create a sort of historical time capsule. But I doubt my fleet of modern watches will change much ever again from what I have now and if it does it will be maybe a few key substitutions and no additions for sure. In any case, we each have our own path here and I'm glad we have talked about it. The DS is a great example of how just because a rep is great and a key model for the year and high in cool factor, for me I don't love it (although I like the idea of it) and that is a good enough reason not to own it given my new path in watch land. But like all dilemas around here Z, it is very much enjoyable my friend - as is the company of guys like yourself in good conversation. Peace.

Robbie,

I "think" I totally get you. I mean most people like watches or horology because of the precision of these small mechanical devices. Most of the time I find myself just gazing at a time piece and I think I do this because I know what it takes to make all this happen. Well some what. In either case, that is why I find myself so torn in the rep world. What draws me to these amazing machines is the precision that it takes to create these time pieces, yet the prices that they demand is off putting at the least. So the rep world is a welcome alternative, but I realize that I'm forced to compromise the very thing that lures me to this hobby. So the dilema with regards to this hobby is two folds. Do I pay the outrageously high prices and enjoy the fact that these pieces are perfect? Or do I save my money and accept the fact that reps will never be perfect? My solution has been, up to this point, is to balance reps with gens. My collection is a creative balance between gens and reps. Mind you it's a precarious dance of balance, but it works and serves it's purpose. LOL

The hunt?... the precarious dance of balance?... whatever you want to call it, call it, but just don't forget that it's only a hobby. Enjoy the dilema my friend. :)