When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

did crown size change on the 16610 sub?

kenneth2

Haven't heard that. There is a new Rolex 7mm crown out- the 24-704-0. It may fit a 24-7030-0 case tube, but I don't know. Here's the chart showing it on the 14060M, 116520, etc. Look on the second page, far right column.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=66457

I would figure as a 30 year old watch, the 16610 is due for a revamping. But I expect the new model to be a 116610 and then the upgrades will be made. I don't know if the two new Submariners out- one's white gold with a blue dial and bezel- maybe the other was YG and black dial and bezel- fatter cases, maybe those are 116610's.

There was some discussion around here about a change in the 16610 case, but I don't think it had anything to do with the lugholes. Other Rolex watches like the DJ have also lost their lugholes- heck it was bound to happen. But a case change to the 16610 would be minor, I would think, since the bezel assembly still fits- heck, the 16800 bezel assembly is what's used on the 16610- so it's 30 years old, almost.

Most of the other Rolexes have been updated- GMTIIc, Deepsea Sea-Dweller, Datejust. But not the Day-Date, I believe.

The Sub is in the process- at Basel 2008, the new 18KYG and 18KWG subs with blue dials and bezels were introduced.

http://www.rolex.com/en/index.jsp#/en/xml/...ubmariner/index

Certainly the Basel 2008 case is different from the standard sub case:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROLEX-SS-BLACK-MEN...%3A2%7C294%3A50

This regular 2008 M serial is the old case, whereas Basel 2008 is a new case design. Basel 2008 is a different watch, whereas the M serial is just an old 16610 with some superficial updates.

I just went back and looked at stility's crown chart. It was published in 2003- long before the GMTIIC came out.

Also, there is a 16610 and a 16610T. I don't know what the T designation signifies- it could be the no lugholes case- that happened around that time.

As much as you study this stuff, there's just some information that only Rolex knows and they don't share much- kinda like US intelligence- 'only on a need to know basis'.

omega, is your crown photo a 16610 sub or a deep sea

is the deep sea and 16610 same crown?

your comment on the larger dots does sound familiar, was this done to mark some other change?

i just want to make sure i am shooting for the correct crown size on my wm9 V2 sub

thanks crown masters

omega, is your crown photo a 16610 sub or a deep sea

is the deep sea and 16610 same crown?

your comment on the larger dots does sound familiar, was this done to mark some other change?

i just want to make sure i am shooting for the correct crown size on my wm9 V2 sub

thanks crown masters

It is a gen deep sea, the gen crowns from a sub you can see on the link in my signature...