When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone acting up...

TeeJay

OKay, I'll admit up front, that my iPhone has been dropped a few times... However, this new behavior was not following any drop, it simply started acting up.

Here's what's happening...

The only function which is being affected, is the telephone function. I can receive calls and I can dial out, but, there is no sound of any kind at either end. I don't here the 'ringing', I can't hear any conversation, and likewise, the person on the other end can't hear anything from me either. However. Other than that, everything else is fine, and all other functions and apps are working.

I've tried turning the phone on and off, removed and re-inserted the SIM, I've used the phones on-screen 'reset' option, which reset the settings, but did not remove any apps, yet it is still playing up. If I were to use the 'reset' function on iTunes to do a complete hard reset, would it back up my apps, or would I lose them all? My playlist, okay, I'd have to re-load the tunes, but it wouldn't be impossible... The loss of the apps concerns me, not so much because they cost money, but because, if the hard reset still does not remedy the problem, I would have wiped everything for nothing...

Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you try a complete reboot? Hold the home and power button for about 5-10 seconds (it will display power off option...but continue holding the buttons). The phone will then switch off and a second later you will see the apple logo. Leave the buttons at that time and let the phone come on.

Hopefully this will help. Which firmware version are you on?

Cheers

Did you try a complete reboot instead of a simple power off? Hold the home and power button for about 5-10 seconds (it will display power off option...but continue holding the buttons). The phone will then switch off and a second later you will see the apple logo. Leave the buttons at that time and let the phone come on.

This won't affect any data/programs on your phone.

Cheers

I've got to the bottom of it. Ish :lol:

I found out that it wasn't playing music through the speakers, and the audio recorder was acting up as well. I tried putting the headphones in, and the music was fine. I pulled out the headphones, and this time, it was all working, so all I can think it, as Pugwash suggested, maybe there's an issue with the connections in the headphone jack, and it simply thought it was in 'headphone mode' rather than 'normal' mode...

Fortunately, all I've had to do is re-organize my apps pages, rather than losing them all :lol: Fingers crossed that it was a one-off abberation, if it is a case of it having become unreliable as a phone, then I'll probably sell it 'as is', as a well-stocked iPod :)

Thanks for the swift responses, guys :good:

Did you try a complete reboot? Hold the home and power button for about 5-10 seconds (it will display power off option...but continue holding the buttons). The phone will then switch off and a second later you will see the apple logo. Leave the buttons at that time and let the phone come on.

Cheers

I had this problem with mine too Tim, its a pain in the ass, I tried with Samurai did, and it seemed to have cured it.

I also have the latest updated firmware.

But hey.......dont listen to me.......I'm a scammer anyway hahaha!

:rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted, its annoying when the whole thing is touchscreen too and that acts up!

I think I may have to many apps on mine?

I found out that it wasn't playing music through the speakers, and the audio recorder was acting up as well. I tried putting the headphones in, and the music was fine. I pulled out the headphones, and this time, it was all working, so all I can think it, as Pugwash suggested, maybe there's an issue with the connections in the headphone jack, and it simply thought it was in 'headphone mode' rather than 'normal' mode...

This happened to a friend of mine on a 1st gen iPhone. It's not as rare as you'd think.

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/08/30/no-i...o-a-simple-fix/

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...&tstart=120

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-78288.html

Yea just for the record, mines not the 3G one either.

Did you try a complete reboot instead of a simple power off? Hold the home and power button for about 5-10 seconds (it will display power off option...but continue holding the buttons). The phone will then switch off and a second later you will see the apple logo. Leave the buttons at that time and let the phone come on.

This won't affect any data/programs on your phone.

Cheers

It's on v2.2 :)

I had this problem with mine too Tim, its a pain in the ass, I tried with Samurai did, and it seemed to have cured it.

I also have the latest updated firmware.

But hey.......dont listen to me.......I'm a scammer anyway hahaha!

:rolleyes:

Hope you get it sorted, its annoying when the whole thing is touchscreen too and that acts up!

I think I may have to many apps on mine?

It was weird, I did the 'hot keys' re-boot, removing the SIM, even hitting the software reset option on the phone, but, they didn't do anything, but it was the headphone jack trick which cured it... It seems to be fine now, I'm a bit wary of if it's going to become a persistent problem, as I bought the phone for business use, so it needs to be reliable, but, all I can do is wait and see how it behaves in the future :)

How many apps have you got? I've got 71 apps installed (including factory installed), but I'm not sure if there's a limit to how many can be installed... :huh:

That's an interesting result, but I think the first link probably sums it up best, that the phone 'forgets' which mode it's in. I'd certainly rather think that it was a software issue, rather than physical damage to the socket or headphone jack. At the moment, considering the circumstances when the phone actually did this, I'm putting it down to gremlin* interferance ;)

pughd5.jpg

:D

Couldn't've said it any better myself :D

* Historical excuse rather than movie versions ;)

Mate...for V2.2...you can have a total of 9 pages worth of apps...including the native iPhone apps. Once all the 9 pages are full...anything you install won't show up....you need to delete some apps to install new ones.

Heard that apple will remove this limitation/increase page count in some future versions.

Cheers

Mate...for V2.2...you can have a total of 9 pages worth of apps...including the native iPhone apps. Once all the 9 pages are full...anything you install won't show up....you need to delete some apps to install new ones.

Heard that apple will remove this limitation/increase page count in some future versions.

Cheers

That's not bad :) I have to admit, I did wonder if there was a limit to how many apps could be downloaded, but even so, that is a lot :lol:

v2.0 crapped out at around 64 apps. This was fixed.

That's quite a step up in capacity :) Does the 3G have an even higher capacity?

Maybe twice in 4 months I guess

Hmm, that's an average of once every two months... I guess considering how much a phone is actually used, it's not a lot, but, while it's worrying to know that this potential issue exists, it's good to know that it's easy to fix :)