When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real Tourbillon Watch - Questions

mobile11

I am looking to buy a real Tourbillon Replica Watch and have a few questions.

1) Who has the largest selection? where would you buy one?

2) What maintenance is required? Who does it, what's the approximate cost?

3) Is it better to use a self winder... or just wind it when the watch is used?

4) Is there the option/dealer who does custom tourbillon watches. For example by picking a tourbillon movement here http://www.ptsresources.com/watch_Auto_tourbillon_01.htm

Then pick a regular faux tourbillon replica model? Then have someone assemble it?

5) Anything else one has to consider when purchasing a tourbillon model?

thanks

If you want a beautiful tourbillon then see Homer. I have recently received two of them in rose gold with the black dial. They are superb. The only downsides are: the strap that feels typically plastic and the deployant clasp feels slightly cheap but the watch is accurate (on both to within +/- 3 per day) and the power reserve is the best I have seen. Maintenance will always be an issue and I have no answer to that but it is probably cheaper to buy one of these every 5 years than try and have a tourbillon serviced. If you havce any questions then PM me and I will try and help but Homer is a great dealer. Any suggestions on a strap for one would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob

1) Who has the largest selection? where would you buy one?

Narikaa has access to most of the tourbillons on the market today.

Browse dealer sites and choose the model you most prefer, then get him to source it for you.

Josh has a large assortment of models from $568 and up.

2) What maintenance is required? Who does it, what's the approximate cost?

Nobody outside of China will touch a Sea-Gull flying tourbillon movement. They are pretty robust, however, and shouldn't require any sort of servicing after purchase. Just like every other watch, its 50% luck and 50% care. Treat it gentle and it will give you years of service.

3) Is it better to use a self winder... or just wind it when the watch is used?

Most are manual handwind, but for the automatics, its best to avoid handwinding as a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't wind it unless you're planning on wearing it. I don't know if its necessarily harmful to do so but it just seems counter intuitive.

4) Is there the option/dealer who does custom tourbillon watches. For example by picking a tourbillon movement here http://www.ptsresources.com/watch_Auto_tourbillon_01.htm

No.

5) Anything else one has to consider when purchasing a tourbillon model?

>Read some reviews of popular models to learn more...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=72620

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=50349

>Decide whether you want a marked model (rep) or an unmarked model (such as the one offered by Homer).

>DO NOT BUY from dealers who drop ship.

Good luck!

This is one of my Tourbillons - this is a JLC replica.

JL02.jpg

It is one of the best timekeepers I have and it is beautifully made - perfect coloured hands and excellent build detail.

A definite cut above many of my other reps. It is also a nice watch size (unlike many rep tourbys) at approx 38mm (ex crown), sensible height of around 11/12mm and the best reserve of any replica I own. It is hand wound and very smooth indeed. I changed the strap for a better quality one with no stitching (just a personal preference), but show the one that came with it, which was not too bad.

Whilst not a perfect copy of the real model, it is quite close and certainly has the family resemblance. It's a keeper for me. Bought from Puretime a good while back.

I also had a Breguet tourbillon rep, but I sold it on as it was never on a par quality wise or believability wise with this one.

Thanks for the excellent help... I tend to lean towards marked I think... however warranty is nice to have too.

That Jaeger Le Coultre looks stunning and he still has it in his shop. The only thing is that the high res pics he has available of that very same watch just doesnt look as nice as yours.

Did anyone ever buy a tourbillon you were not happy with or that broke /didnt work after a while. If so what model was it?

That is really nice. Probably one of if not the nicest fantasy rep I have ever seen. :punk:

As RobbieG said, thats really stunning.

In fact, has anyone ever seen the Tourbillon Gyro??

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLITIynCgA

I'd sell my two M&M's and my Tic Tak for one of those!

Or these

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sVciFi3iAlg&...feature=related

I think I just wet my pants!

Narikaa is the only case I remember of a Broken Tourby.. and a local watchsmith (well local is Asian :p) repaired it for like $5..

Yup... and he did a great job.. because I'm looking at it now and it still runs. Not perfectly, but quite well.

I can't even begin to imagine all of the exciting people and places this watch has seen in its lifetime. This is a really special watch... I think you too will find that owning a tourbillon is like owning a little piece of magic.

dsc00608oh5.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures... and answers.

So my decision is that I am gonna buy 2... one from homer and one marked one - the Homer one being a gift to my dad. For the marked one I am between a Breguet Regulateur as shown earlier or the jaeger le coultre featured earlier.

I like that the Jaeger has a power reserve although is more a fantasy interpretation, while the breguet seems to be the closest to the real thing but lacking a power reserve.

My ideal would be a marked replica that is close to a real model like the breguet, has a Sea-Gull flying tourbillon movement (I think they simply look stunning) and has a power reserve. (by the way what do the numbers in the power reserve represent - hours? ).

Does anyone own such a combination?

One other advantage of Homer is the he both carries parts for and services what he sells. He offers full service and repairs.

Very few reps use a Sea-Gull tourby MVT. Most, including the Million Smart ones sold by Homer use the Liaoning 5010 MVT. As stated parts and service for these are available thru Homer. The Sea-Gull ST-82, a common axis tourbillon is used where this type is used in the gen. Not so much the ST-80 'cause the 5010 is cheaper and of the same flying carrousel type. Both the ST-80 and 82 are now available in automatic.

Tho a fair bit cheaper the 5010 is still a reliable MVT sold in it's hundreds of thousands every year however if you can get what you want in a Sea-Gull all the beter. I think that would add a hundred so to the price however.

I also understand that D4M over at RWI is planing to have a tourby available somtime first quater '09 as well. Not shure at this stage wether it's going to be unbranded or his own brand. It will be a 5010 based watch and the price will be very good indeed knowing D4M. I could tell you what a 5010 MVT is actualy worth in lots of 50 plus but Homer or Narika may want to shoot me :) That and I'm too lazey to dig the titbit out of the info pile at 1AM on boxing day :lol:

Hope this is of some help.

Regards, Col.

Interesting information... I thought both the JLC and the Homer use the same movements... thanks for pointing out that they do not.

So regarding parts and servicing... how often does one need new parts and servicing... anyone here that wears one of those watches daily...? how long do they last.. if taken care off.. and no servicing.. and also no extreme stuff?