When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen dials into ETA?

ghost

Hi can anyone enlighten me as to how this is done as i have successfully murdered my gen TT sub blue dial trying to get it to fit my ETA movement. First of all, the feet didnt match, so i had to break em and superglue em into place (not ideal..keeps breaking off still)...

Then the date window doesnt align itself with the datewheel!

How did bytor get this done on his explorer 2?

Sigh

Hi can anyone enlighten me as to how this is done as i have successfully murdered my gen TT sub blue dial trying to get it to fit my ETA movement. First of all, the feet didnt match, so i had to break em and superglue em into place (not ideal..keeps breaking off still)...

Then the date window doesnt align itself with the datewheel!

How did bytor get this done on his explorer 2?

Sigh

You can get stick on dial feet that you can place anywhere on the dial, or use dial dots to glue to the movement. You probably need some kind of date wheel overlay for that to line up.

its a bit of work.. make sure the dial fits into the case.. sometimes you have to trim the dial all the way around to make it work. You will have to glue the dial to the movememnt. not sure about the issue with the datewheel. Did it line up with the original rep dial? What watch are you putting the dial into? If its a cheaper chinese rolex then sometimes the datewindow is too far to the right then theres not much you can do except use a different movement.

heres my MBW with gen dial.

CIMG1320.jpg

Sorry what are the "sticks" or "dial dots"? How does one avail of them? And the "date wheel overlay"?

I'm using a gen ETA on a sandoz TT sub...coz i dunno, everyones always talking about how the TT Sub reps' gold dont hold up, but this baby's gold has been going strong for 4 years with no end in sight! sO I GOT ITCHY.....

SIgh...

You can get stick on dial feet that you can place anywhere on the dial, or use dial dots to glue to the movement. You probably need some kind of date wheel overlay for that to line up.

its a bit of work.. make sure the dial fits into the case.. sometimes you have to trim the dial all the way around to make it work. You will have to glue the dial to the movememnt. not sure about the issue with the datewheel. Did it line up with the original rep dial? What watch are you putting the dial into? If its a cheaper chinese rolex then sometimes the datewindow is too far to the right then theres not much you can do except use a different movement.

heres my MBW with gen dial.

CIMG1320.jpg

How would you glue the dial down without impeding the movement. Unfortunately it aint an el cheapo rep..im using the sandoz TT sub...a very sturdy case otherwise....

Thanks

You will definitely need a date wheel overlay. The overlay is glued to the ETA date wheel and relocates the position of the date to match the Rolex date window.

This is a trial and error process so you will probably have to adjust it several times to get it properly aligned with the date window. You can find a date wheel overlay here...date wheel overlay. Click on "Repair Tools" and scroll down about a quarter of the page, you will see both the yellow and white. The correct one for the TT sub would be the yellow. To give you a visual of this process go here....Stilty franken project He is using a gen date disc but the process is the same.

Dial dots (small dots with adhesive on both sides) can be purchased from any watch supply house. I purchased mine from Jules Borel but, Otto Frie as well as others can supply them. These can be placed on the top of the movement in areas where there are no moving parts or on the dial spacer ring. I have used double faced tape folded over several times to allow enough room between the dial and movement for the date wheel to move freely.

Good luck with your project!

Edited by jdavis